Scrambled login screen - what's wrong?

Well guys, right at the moment I am experiencing two errors that don’t hurt, but are extremely anoying.
Both occured after updating with zypper (zypper up).

First one: My login screen looks misplaced. There’s an error message which might help though. It says:

This design cannot be used with the authentication method “dynamic”.

second: My network manager (knetworkmanager) does not start itself anymore when booting. I already told it to do so again in YAST Network management, but it won’t hear me.

Any suggestions on either or both of these?

TheMask.***

PUSH – I really need help on this one. Fast (please).

TheMask.

Never encountered the login error before. Wondering if some new theme is the cause of this? Some questions to start with:

1. What version of opensuse?

2. Desktop (KDE3, KDE4.x,Gnome)?

3. Display manager (kdm, kdm4, gdm)?

You can autostart knetworkmanager if using KDE4 via

system settings (advanced) > autostart (add program)

Glad you hear me. :wink:
Answers:

1. OpenSuse 11.1
  2. KDE 4.1.3
  3. Nvidia

For launching knetworkmanager: thanks for the hint.phew solved the first one…

TheMask.

… thing is, that I still get the above mentioned error message.

After the message arrives, I need to press return in order to reach the login panel. The login itself is located on the very edge of the upper left side of the screen.
And this is how the login works: Put in my the user name, press return, put in the correct pass and hit return again. Alltogether it takes about 10 minutes to log in. EXTREMELY annoying process.

deano_ferrari, I don´t think that a theme is the cause of the scrambling - as I said before: It happened right after updating with zypper.

Awkward sh*t.

TheMask.

Hope it´s allowed to do some kind of push here… I´d LOVE to get that thing solved soon. :slight_smile:

TheMask.

try using kdm3.
if you have kdebase3-kdm installed, change kdm4 to kdm3 in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager .
it may help you.

Cheers

Thanks, I’d like to keep the most recent version that was distributed via the update though. Is there a chance/command for re-installing kdm without breaking my desktop settings n stuff?

TheMask.

Hey guys: Here is a more general question: How am I able to take a snapshot of my login screen? Is that possible with switching to command via CTRL+ALT+ESC, typing a command that times the shot and then switching back somehow?

TheMask.

As I am the only one who replied on this topic, I want to share the solution with myself. :smiley:

See tusharjoshi’s post right here: Now seeing parts of previous images on login! - Page 3 - openSUSE Forums

Have phun.
TheMask.

> As I am the only one who replied on this topic,

on the nntp side it shows that there were other posters…one by
deano_ferrari on 21 Feb and the other tusharjoshi on 27 Feb…

> See tusharjoshi’s post right here: 'Now seeing parts of previous images
> on login!

it is not at all uncommon for folks who get tired of waiting for
someone to answer their ‘unique’ question to find the info themselves
just by doing a little searching (here and on google)

most of the answers i’ve provided here didn’t come from my head,
instead it came as the result of:

• READING the manual

• SEARCHING the forums/wiki

• SEARCHING the net

ymmv

assistant