Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalling/freezing problem

Default stalling/freezing problem

Asus P5KC Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0gHz 3.0G ram[4 installed 3 recognized] Nvidia 8500GT 575w power supply 4 cooling fans
    Internet connection - DSL modem
    [using a router [linksys] to connect 2 machines to internet but machines not connected to each other] router firewall turned off
    using openSuse firewall
    2nd machine is also a P4, but not Core 2 Duo[not experiencing probs]
    Hope I have included enough info.
    I don't know if this is a hardware or software issue, please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I have been using OpenSuse 11 for about 2 months now, before this Kubuntu 8.04 for 6 months and windows XP Pro Sp2 for a few years.

In both of the linux distros I have experienced a stalling/freezing problem, [did not happen on WinXP] where the machine/screen stops responding for approximately anywhere from 30 secs up to 4 mins. At the time it stalls, I cannot shut anything down or do anything on the computer.
    The most I have running at these times are:
    1] WCS 1.83 - chat server
    2] Wine .0964 - emulator?
    3] Winmx 3.54 - P2P program [thru Wine]
    4a] xmms - audio player
    4b] vlc - if i am playing a video
    5] file manager - either dolphin or Konqueror
    6] FireFox 3 beta 5 - occaisionally to check mail or browse
    7] whatever the OS needs to be running

I have tried shutting down programs and windows, but it makes no difference, it still stalls even with only 2 programs running.
    I believe the cooling and power supply is sufficient for this system.
    I have uninstalled beagle because i thought that might be the problem [I had heard it was a resource hog]
    I have been running the system monitor to check what [if anything] is eating up resources and there never seems to be a heavy load, but still it stalls.
    I have tried shutting down programs and windows, but it makes no difference, it still stalls even with only 2 programs running.

I don't know, but this does not seem to me to be too much to ask of this machine, when you consider that people use core 2 duo for gaming, which i believe would be a lot heavier on resources.

I don't know too much [anything] about services? that are running, but when i look at the Performance monitor, all seems ok. Most always, except for the programs i am running, everything is "sleeping".

The only common denominator, within the 2 distros, that i am aware of, is kde. I am using kde 3.5.9, altho' kde 4 is installed. [I installed from the live CD, therefore had to start with kde 4] I installed kde 3.59 thinking that the new kde [4] might be the problem.

I have 'googled' and done some searching thru different forums, but have come up with nothing.
    Is there some software, possibly, that might monitor and log what is happening at the stall times?

I would like feedback and suggestions on this problem, please.

Blog Entries

Default Re: stalling/freezing problem

The most likely culprit is beagle

Open Yast - Software Management and search for it

delete all entries
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

have fun NNTP User

> The most likely culprit is beagle

his initial post says: "I have uninstalled beagle because i thought
    that might be the problem [I had heard it was a resource hog]"

i wonder if he is using reiser file system...there was a problem with
    one of the kernel releases and reiser..

and, WHEN does the stall begin? like, does it always begin ON THE
    HOUR? or, say exactly 15 minutes about boot up? or, one hour after
    boot up? (if it starts predictable, it is probably a cron job)

is he running "desktop effects"? (what happens if that is turned off?)

does it freeze if Firefox is NOT running?

he says "it still stalls even with only 2 programs running" and i ask
    WHICH TWO?

and, he asks "Is there some software, possibly, that might monitor
    and log what is happening at the stall times?" answer: install atop
    via yast then read the doc and adjust the capture timing as required
    to 'catch' the problem..

--
    have fun

Hello Have Fun and caf4926

Things I forgot to tell:
    I am using the ext3 filesystem

There is no predictableness about the stall. It may do it once then not for say 15 min. then stall again then be ok then do it steadily every few minutes for a while.

I am not running desktop effects, infact have not turned them on since new install 3 days ago

Yes it freezes if Firefox is not running

The two programs i am refering to are actually 3
    WCS - linux chat server
    Wine
    Winmx - p2p run thru wine

I am installing atop now to see what i find and will report back

Thankyou for giving me a place to start

I can't seem to find atop. I am looking in yast software management. Is there somewhere else i should get this? I found an iotop and an htop, are these the same things?

In the meantime, I have switched to the IceWM-Lite [just to do a comparison] that i found in the login screen under session. I ran the same programs i always do when using kde 3.5 and it ran ok all day except for about an hour ago it stalled for about 45 seconds, while I was trying to play a video at youtube. After the stall cleared, I was able to play videos from youtube ok. I notice that my firefox version is 3.0.6 which is different from the yesterday when it was firefox 3 beta 5.
    Anyway, hoping to hear more about why I cannot find atop.

thankyou

Have you tried booting into failsafe mode to see if that helps. To me, it sounds like an interrupt control problem, although its strange that both computers would suffer from the same problem, so try the failsafe mode, or just add noapic nolapic to the boot options. Also, try unplugging your network connection. Its possible the problem is to do with your networking, or even that someone (an evil genius) is SSH hacking into your systems. Are both computers plugged into the same power outlet? on the same circuit? A poor power source can cause all sorts of trouble. Try plugging in somewhere else. You might also be generating a static electric charge of your own, and its rare, (mostly happens in basements where the user is lower than the houses ground wire), but this can cause very difficult to diagnose problems, since nothing is wrong with the computer. The easy solution to this rare anomaly is to put both you and your pcs on rubber mats.

Post back if any of this makes any difference. Also, try running with your system logs open. You might see that the same program is running each time your pcs freeze. And, have you ever "ignored dependancies" when installing anything? That could be it too.

Best of luck to you.

What is atop. I've got all repos enabled and I can't find it either. They must have a website. Perhaps they have an rpm.

have fun NNTP User

> What is atop.

maybe the wizards of openSUSE took it out of 11.1, have you tried
    that old failsafe, your friend google?

here: http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=atop

--
    have fun

have fun NNTP User

LaQuirrELL wrote:
    > I can't seem to find atop. I am looking in yast software management.
    > Is there somewhere else i should get this? I found an iotop and an
    > htop, are these the same things?

no, just like lice and mice have only a letter different and are VERY
    different, so it is with atop and htop..

i don't know why you can't find it in YaST, but try for a "one-click
    install" from:
    http://software.opensuse.org/search
    or
    http://packages.opensuse-community.org/
    [hint: write those down somewhere...or bookmark!!]

>
    > In the meantime, I have switched to the IceWM-Lite [just to do a
    > comparison] that i found in the login screen under session. I ran the
    > same programs i always do when using kde 3.5 and it ran ok all day
    > except for about an hour ago it stalled for about 45 seconds, while I
    > was trying to play a video at youtube. After the stall cleared, I was
    > able to play videos from youtube ok. I notice that my firefox version
    > is 3.0.6 which is different from the yesterday when it was firefox 3
    > beta 5.
    > Anyway, hoping to hear more about why I cannot find atop.

beginning to sound like a NETWORK problem....something you can learn
    from atop..

--
    have fun

I have found and installed atop [ty for cool link, have fun]

[I have to admit that I am only guessing at the interpretation of the results that atop produces]

When running atop there is one thing that puzzles me, the line where it says:

MEM | tot 3.0G | free 121.6M | cache 2.5G | buff 77.9M | slab 71.4M

Does this mean that most all of my 3 g's of ram are being used?
    Does this seem to be something i should get excited about?

CPU usage never seems to be more than 10 or 15 percent, lot of the time it sits idle at 90 - 95 %.
    I notice with the little documentation that is on their website you can hit various keys [c v d m s] the atop screen shows different things. Altho' i expect that they think u know how to interpret[which i don't]. It creates a log file, that i can show someone. Suggestions would be nice!

have fun] - you mentioned it sounded like a network problem, could you be so kind to explain that comment? Do you mean Internet network, machines connected together network[which I don't have] or the internal network of this machine [i.e. - system trying to access other hard drives for info]. What specifically would I look for in atop?

I am trying to narrow down this stalling and it seems to be, more often than not, that it happens when i am trying to open files. Altho', it has happened when i was trying to start a video at the youtube site.
    I have 3 hard drives, 2 are used for music storage, the other has root, swap and /home on it [on 3 paritions], All are formatted to ext3.
    Anyway, I am going to reboot and start atop for a full 24 hours and see if I can see anything that I might recognize as a problem.
    Thank You

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast