Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving or deleting files very slow

Default Moving or deleting files very slow

Hi,

I am noticing that copying a folder to a new location, even of small to modest size (~150 mb), takes longer than it should. The speed seems to be comparable to what I would get copying a folder over a network, not from one place to another on my hard drive.

The worst performance comes when deleting a set of folders, even though each folder contains relatively little information. 5 seconds or more per folder.

Not sure why this is happening. I found this using Dolphin or Konqueror, in 11.1 with KDE 4.2.

Any suggestions for fixing this would be welcome.

Thanks.

Default Re: Moving or deleting files very slow

In Linux everything in the graphical desktop is considered as a network object or file. Hence the "bad" performance...

Hmmm. Alright, but I am pretty sure I have had much faster performance until recently. For instance, I had deleted a large number of satellite images, which took far less time than the bibliographic records I was wiping out which took ages in comparison. Seems to me that something has happened to effect this.

I added Google Desktop search in the interim, but I disabled indexing, and even quit the program, with no corresponding boost in speed. Plus, I think GD only indexes when the system is idle.

Hi,
    @mazibuko
    Did you solve the problem? Because I have the same for few weeks. Sometimes the system even stop responding for few minutes (while moving e.g. 10 MB !!)

I'll feel grateful for answer and help.
    Michal.

Hi,

No, I haven't--at least I don't think I have, but I haven't had to delete files for a while.

No solution yet, I am afraid.

I will post back if something comes up.

Blog Entries

Are you using delete (that is you added delete to the menu) as opposed to 'move to wastebin'?
    or of course use Shift - Delete
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Hi,
    yesterday, for example, I used Shift + Menu option to delete the Folder in Amarok - and I was to kill the application .

Today I am testing Dolphin with Nepomuk turned ON ... and everything is ok.

Could this be a solution? [sorry for my English ]

Michal.

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Are you using delete (that is you added delete to the menu) as opposed to 'move to wastebin'?
    or of course use Shift - Delete
    I think I used the delete key on the laptop, but also right-clicked and selected move to trash (which says it corresponds to the delete key....).

Thanks.

I think this is a KDE4 problem. If you haven't yet update KDE to 4.2.1 and also your Qt libs to 4.5. It got a lot better (faster) for me after the updates.
    An additional solution is to use a KDE3 program like Krusader for big file operations, works flawlessly and fast, only lacks the looks

Blog Entries

Really weird, my KDE has never been faster. But...i've seen at some friends that they have quite a mix of old and very old plasmoids making plasma take up to 99% of CPU, that's one, and...
    Beagle/Kerry working? I get transferrates from SATAII to SATAII that remind me of the early 90s. So I removed those, and now it's fast, very fast
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast