Thread: KDM Instead of GDM

Default KDM Instead of GDM

Is there any way I can use KDM instead of GDM on OpenSUSE 11.1 Gnome. GDM doesn't work on the Acer Aspire one so for the time being I changed inittab to use Runlevel 3 and then doing startx. But can I have KDM instead of GDM?

Default Re: KDM Instead of GDM

you can set that in /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager

first variable on top

sgosnell NNTP User

Why not just install the KDE version instead? Putting KDE on top of Gnome is likely to cause both bloat and slowness.

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Why not just install the KDE version instead? Putting KDE on top of Gnome is likely to cause both bloat and slowness.
    Maybe not a serious one cause he might be running at present some kde application like k3b or amarok that will require some kde dependencies. Yes you can, you have two choices kde4-kdm and kdm for kde 3.xx. I will leave the choice for you. After installing kdm do as microchip said in his post and will be fine I guess.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

I wouldn't normally do this, but the new GDM has a number of problems on my systems. For example after clicking the username it will sometimes say Unable to Authenticate user and I will not be able to do anything else apart from hard rebooting. Not even dropping to a different runlevel and using root to shutdown -h 0 will work, it will just hang.

It's not a problem with GDM as the one in Fedora doesn't have this behaviour.