YaST got signal 11at clients/online_update_select.ycp:83

openSUSE 11.0 with KDE4.2 Factory repositories, next to others :wink:

Happened between yesterday and today. Can’t do any updates anymore, because of error

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/online_update_select.ycp:83
/sbin/yast2: line 421: 12085 Speicherzugriffsfehler $ybindie/y2base $module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

Ok, there are many questions and answers about this subject, dating back to 2007.

I tried to get along and failed. This is what did NOT help :frowning:

-delete the zypp db -> There are no files like that

rm /var/cache/zypp/zypp.db /var/cache/zypp/zypp.db-journal

-reorg the pkg mgt

rpm --rebuilddb

zypper ref

zypper up

• update with console yast
    -> no change

• deactivating all repos and activating them again with console yast
    -> no change

• just a helpless try: Throw away the repo infos by renaming /var/cache/zypp to a tmp name
    -> no change, though all repos get reread from update

From those other ideas i take the fact, that i MUST get rid of this zypp.db, but where is it? Has it a different name?

Don’t know, if this is of interest for anybody, but i will replicate an answer from german “linux forum”, where i placed the same question meanwhile.

The buggy part comes from the corresponding QT repo. They started to roll out new versions of qt4libs (V4.4 and V4.5rc1), which create the trouble. In order to get your yast2 running again, you must downgrade all of these libs.

How do I downgrade without YaST?

I had this problem too with 11.1. But about a week and a half ago I updated KDE 4.2 and Qt 4.5 and the problem was fixed.

You can probably run YaST in ncurses mode from run level 3. If YaST won’t work, add the repos you need with zypper and run zypper up.

Same trouble…
And now same question: how to downgrade qt4libs without Yast?
Thanks

Hi…
I have downgrade qt4 at the version 4.4 via
/sbin/yast in the administrator mode.
Now Yast2 is working.

Still remains some problems with the KDE desktop and plasmoid, but I don’t know if they are connected with qt.

Thanks for the help

Hi there,

Obviously the same Problem since I let my Yast update itself and some other stuff… sh…

…start a console, su to root, type “yast” and see a lovely oldfashioned “Textgui” like the real thing.

the key to choose Versions is Alt-A (german version) for Anzeigen. In English it might be View (Alt-V ?)

I rolled back to 4.3 of qt-x11 package and write these before I restart… whish me luck.

regards

Michael(Mickey)Maass

Could qt4 please be fixed? If I upgrade to it the yast2 no longer works. If I attempt to downgrade then LOTS of other utilities fail to work (KDE applications and lots more). But most of these I am unable to downgrade. I now have a failed dependency list in yast2 of over 900 packages.

Dears,

i have the same problem. here is my xmessage:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
/sbin/yast2: line 421:  4771 Segmentation fault      $ybindir/y2base $module "$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

my libqt4 version is 4.5.1 from Qt repositories from openSUSE. i am on a openSUSE 11.0 with kde 4.2.2

any idea??

I believe it is related to this bug :- https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=468734

Now a fix was released and updated in the BS under the devel:/updatestatck/Opensuse_11.0 section. The package to be updated is yast2-qt-pkg-2.16.49-1.1.i586.rpm. Apparently, this repo is now completely empty and the fix was not propagated into the Updates repo. Thankfully, one of the BS mirrors has the repo cache…and it can be downloaded from this link:-

http://mirror.in.th/osarchive/opensuse/repositories/devel%3A/updatestack/openSUSE_11.0/i586/yast2-qt-pkg-2.16.49-1.1.i586.rpm

I’ve had this problem several times in 11.0 and installing this always did the trick. You do not need to mess around with the Qt repo…it should work fine.

-Anshul

I’ve reopened this bug :- https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=468734, please comment/vote on this to have it committed into the Updates repo.

-Anshul

thanks for your suggestion. but the link you pasted does not seem to be correct, it times out. could you please send me the package by email, or at least upload it somewhere?

best,

anoosh

Seems like the server is down. It is actually a pretty lousy server as it goes down very very often…but it happens to be the only place where this package resides. I might have a copy on my desktop at home…so I’ll be able to access it 4-5 hours later :frowning:

could you please send it to me? my email is “my username above” @ gmail dot com

thanks

On Thu, 28 May 2009 03:56:06 GMT, anshuljain
<anshuljain@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I believe it is related to this bug :-
>https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=468734
>
>Now a fix was released and updated in the BS under the
>devel:/updatestatck/Opensuse_11.0 section. The package to be updated is
>yast2-qt-pkg-2.16.49-1.1.i586.rpm. Apparently, this repo is now
>completely empty and the fix was not propagated into the Updates repo.
>Thankfully, one of the BS mirrors has the repo cache…and it can be
>downloaded from this link:-
>
>http://tinyurl.com/pbyutk
>
>I’ve had this problem several times in 11.0 and installing this always
>did the trick. You do not need to mess around with the Qt repo…it
>should work fine.
>
>-Anshul

This is so “not ready for prime time”.

so what does it mean? it means that i still can’t use the YaST2 Install Software!!!

somebody please give me this rpm!!

On Fri, 29 May 2009 19:06:02 GMT, anoosh3000
<anoosh3000@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>so what does it mean? it means that i still can’t use the YaST2 Install
>Software!!!
>
>somebody please give me this rpm!!

First, some data: Which distribution and version?
Do you have a GUI running? If so is it KDE or Gnome?
Can you get / do you have a console (text) interface running?

I am using openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.2.2 . everything is fine except the YaST2 Software Management module. i can work in console, i can use YaST text-gui interface also.

On Sat, 30 May 2009 16:36:02 GMT, anoosh3000
<anoosh3000@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>
>I am using openSUSE 11.0 with KDE 4.2.2 . everything is fine except the
>YaST2 Software Management module. i can work in console, i can use YaST
>text-gui interface also.

Consider using zypper to update/fix yast.

what should i update? from what repo?