Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Global preferences in Firefox 3

  1. #1

    Default Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Can anyone explain to me how to specify global preferences for Firefox 3 in openSUSE 11.1?

    For Firefox 2 I was putting stuff in to /usr/lib/firefox/mozilla.cfg. Stuff like

    lockPref("browser.cache.disk.capacity",10000);
    pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://whatever.com");

    and in /usr/lib/firefox/greprefs/all.js I put a line to reference the mozilla.cfg and set general.config.obscure_value to 0 because I just can't be bothered with the byte shift 13 stuff.

    But with openSUSE 11.1 there is no /usr/lib/firefox/greprefs directory. The greprefs directory is there in the download of Firefox 3 from mozilla.com but in Firefox 3 as provided in openSUSE 11.1 it's not there.

    I've found /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/preferences/ and by looking at the output of strace worked out that the contents of that directory is read in reverse alphabetical order. If I create a file in there called a.js and specify a few settings in there then some take effect, e.g. disk cache, and some are ignored, e.g. homepage.

    So where am I supposed to put settings such that they take effect for all users and lock the settings that I want to prevent users changing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagroovejet
    Can anyone explain to me how to specify global preferences for Firefox 3
    in openSUSE 11.1?

    For Firefox 2 I was putting stuff in to /usr/lib/firefox/mozilla.cfg.
    Stuff like

    lockPref("browser.cache.disk.capacity",10000);
    pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://whatever.com");

    and in /usr/lib/firefox/greprefs/all.js I put a line to reference the
    mozilla.cfg and set general.config.obscure_value to 0 because I just
    can't be bothered with the byte shift 13 stuff.

    But with openSUSE 11.1 there is no /usr/lib/firefox/greprefs
    directory. The greprefs directory is there in the download of Firefox 3
    from mozilla.com but in Firefox 3 as provided in openSUSE 11.1 it's not
    there.

    I've found /usr/lib/firefox/defaults/preferences/ and by looking at the
    output of strace worked out that the contents of that directory is read
    in reverse alphabetical order. If I create a file in there called a.js
    and specify a few settings in there then some take effect, e.g. disk
    cache, and some are ignored, e.g. homepage.

    So where am I supposed to put settings such that they take effect for
    all users and lock the settings that I want to prevent users changing?
    Hi
    Use fgrep in the preferences directory and you will see that if your
    file is read before firefox-branding then it will be over ridden.
    Create your file with the first character a number and it should be
    read last....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 1 day 21:24, 4 users, load average: 0.14, 0.43, 0.42
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  3. #3

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Use fgrep in the preferences directory and you will see that if your
    file is read before firefox-branding then it will be over ridden.
    Create your file with the first character a number and it should be
    read last....
    I know what fgrep is but I don't understand what you mean when you say use it. What am I looking for?

    The output of strace here indicates that calling the file a.js causes it to be read after all the other files in the preferences directory. For some reason all the files are being read more than once, but a.js is still the last one to be read. Changing the name to 1.js makes no difference.

    Also I forget to mention that locking preferences with lockPref in a.js doesn't work. E.g. if I specify a value for browser.cache.disk.capacity with pref then that is taken notice of but trying to lock it with lockPref it gets ignore. browser.cache.disk.capacity is the only setting I've tried so far that any notice is taken of at all actually.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Bump, because I still can't figure out how the heck you're supposed to specify global configuration for Firefox in 11.1.

    Anyone? Bueller?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,670
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Quote Originally Posted by arizonagroovejet
    Bump, because I still can't figure out how the heck you're supposed to
    specify global configuration for Firefox in 11.1.

    Anyone? Bueller?
    Hi
    Ferris is taking the day off

    What about down in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/greprefs, I thought you could
    also use /usr/lib/firefox/local-configuration.js file?


    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.21-0.1-pae
    up 2 days 14:30, 2 users, load average: 0.34, 0.20, 0.12
    ASUS eeePC 1000HE ATOM N280 1.66GHz | GPU Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME


  6. #6

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    Ferris is taking the day off

    What about down in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/greprefs,
    Maybe... but that doesn't seem wise unless one is totally certain the stuff in /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9/ isn't use by other xul based programs e.g. Thunderbird and I don't see any indication that is the case.

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    I thought you could
    also use /usr/lib/firefox/local-configuration.js file?
    For Firefox 2, yes. For 11.1/Firefox 3 there is no /usr/lib/firefox/local-configuration.js and Firefox makes no attempt to read it if the file is created.


    I'm amazed and annoyed in equal measure by this problem. Setting and locking global preferences was so easy for Firefox 2 yet it seems impossible for Firefox 3. I'm no stranged to poking around and tweaking config files and such to change system wide defaults for various things but I can't figure this out.
    Someone, somewhere must know what's been changed, why it's been changed, and a method of setting global preferences for Firefox 3 but if they've put the information online I can't find it despite much time trawling Google search results.

  7. #7
    heartless_bot NNTP User

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    maybe you need to directly contact the linux types on the Mozilla
    team...i'd start that at http://www.mozilla.org/developer/

    and/or, have a look at the documentation for developers
    http://www.mozilla.org/docs/

    --
    heartless_bot

  8. #8

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    Quote Originally Posted by heartless_bot View Post
    maybe you need to directly contact the linux types on the Mozilla
    team...i'd start that at mozilla - Developer Central

    and/or, have a look at the documentation for developers
    Mozilla Developer Documentation
    The thing is, if I do to mozilla.com, download the Linux version of Firefox and use that then I am easily able to to do what I want using the method I describe in my original post. So the problem is not with the Linux version of Firefox, it's with the way in which it has been packaged by openSUSE. Also Ubuntu actually. Looking their latest release Firefox is done the same way as in openSUSE and I'm no more able to set/lock global preferences with that than I am on openSUSE.

  9. #9
    heartless_bot NNTP User

    Default Re: Global preferences in Firefox 3

    > So the problem is not with the Linux version of Firefox, it's with
    > the way in which it has been packaged by openSUSE.


    ok, i didn't understand that from your original posting...when i read
    the thread again (with your lastest info, above) i notice that each
    time you are careful to say the problem is "Firefox 3 in openSUSE
    11.1"...sorry, i just didn't pick up on that as a limitation..

    but, now that i know that then i think i'll suggest you 'speak'
    directly to the SUSE developers/packagers...and note that _this_ forum
    is where users help other users with their problems--it is NOT a good
    assumption that all (or any) of the developers read/follow here either
    continuously or periodically...(if they did i think they would have
    NOT put more ALPHA quality KDE4.x into the release version of 11.1)..

    i do, however, believe that SUSE developers read/follow bug reports,
    so have a look at http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports and
    http://en.opensuse.org/Bug_Reporting_FAQ

    maybe technically there is no 'bug' in the software, but only in the
    documentation of how to set and lock down system wide settings [i am
    now assuming that you DID search the Firefox documentation, didn't you??]

    or, your apparent depth of understanding/experience leads me to
    believe that perhaps you might wanna JOIN the development/packaging
    team, think about it and see http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Participate

    and, once someone helps you find _where_ 'they' secreted away (hidden
    in some dusty crack) the files you wanna edit, you can at the very
    least help them hone the SUSE version of the Firefox documentation so
    that the next searcher can find the buried treasure..

    just an idea (noting that i doubt any of the USERS here can help you
    find what you are looking for)

    --
    heartless_bot

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •