Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: notification are applet deleted

  1. #1

    Default notification are applet deleted

    hi, after login i got a message that an error occurred to notification area applet and there were two options, delete the applet configuration and don't delete. i selected "don't delete" and rebooted, hoping the error was just for that session, but after rebooting the message prompted again and then i clicked on the "delete" button. now this applet is missing from the applets list when right clicking to panel and then "add to panel...". i reinstalled the gnome-applets package but no results.
    any hints how to get this applet back?

    thanks

  2. #2

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    still looking for a solution. maybe i should reinstall some other packages, not just gnome-applets (not sure if notification area applet is included there). the point is that i don't want to reinstall opensuse and everything else from scratch

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    still looking for a solution. maybe i should reinstall some other
    packages, not just gnome-applets (not sure if notification area applet
    is included there). the point is that i don't want to reinstall opensuse
    and everything else from scratch
    Hi
    Have you right-clicked on the panel and then add, scroll down the list
    and add it back (notification area).
    Have you added and application recently in the startup which may be
    causing the failure, if so delete this from the startup.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 1 day 20:15, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.22, 0.16
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  4. #4

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    like i sad in the first post the notification area applet is missing when i right to the panel and then select "add to panel". seems like it has been deleted.
    yes i have added fusion-icon to startup (which places an icon on the notification area when starts). do you think that's what caused the error. anyway the problem now is getting back this applet, how do i reinstall it, or if it hasn't been removed, how do i get it back on the applets list when i right click on the panel and add to panel?

    thanks

  5. #5

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    i also had nm-applet (network applet) added on startup, which prompts this message "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" when connecting to wep networks, anyway the problem now is notification applet has gone, so neither nm-applet or fusion icon is showing on the taskbar anymore... help

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    i also had nm-applet (network applet) added on startup, which prompts
    this message "Enter password for default keyring to unlock" when
    connecting to wep networks, anyway the problem now is notification
    applet has gone, so neither nm-applet or fusion icon is showing on the
    taskbar anymore... help
    Hi
    Have you resized or locked the notification area, this can sometimes
    hide them. For the nm-applet, check in the Control
    Center->System->Sessions, there should be an entry for 'Network
    Manager, if not, the following are the settings;

    Code:
    Name: Network Manager
    Command: nm-applet --sm-disable
    Comment: Control your network connections
    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 12:19, 1 user, load average: 0.50, 0.15, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  7. #7

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    hi malcolmlewis, i think you have misunderstood me sorry for not being clear. the notification area applet seems to have been deleted/uninstalled, it is no longer listed in the applets list when i right click to the panel and click add to panel after the error/crash occurred. the error message was something like this:
    "An error has occurred to GNOME notification area applet...
    ...do you want to delete its configuration?"
    there were 2 buttons, "don't delete" and "delete". First i clicked on "don't delete" but after rebooting the message prompted again and then i clicked on "delete" button.
    now my question is how do i get back or reinstall or restore this applet, there must be a way to get it back except reinstalling the whole system?

    thank you

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    hi malcolmlewis, i think you have misunderstood me sorry for not
    being clear. the notification area applet seems to have been
    deleted/uninstalled, it is no longer listed in the applets list when i
    right click to the panel and click add to panel after the error/crash
    occurred. the error message was something like this:
    "An error has occurred to GNOME notification area applet...
    ...do you want to delete its configuration?"
    there were 2 buttons, "don't delete" and "delete". First i clicked on
    "don't delete" but after rebooting the message prompted again and then i
    clicked on "delete" button.
    now my question is how do i get back or reinstall or restore this
    applet, there must be a way to get it back except reinstalling the whole
    system?

    thank you
    Hi
    Ahh.... re install the gnome-panel it's in there.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 13:27, 2 users, load average: 0.25, 0.17, 0.11
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


  9. #9

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    thanks for the hint. now another problem: seems i can't reinstall the gnome-panel pcakage. i get this error message:
    Code:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet.server: cpio: rename failed - Input/output error
    when executing: sudo zypper install gnome-panel

    the same error message appears if i use "installe software" from yast

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,302
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: notification are applet deleted

    Quote Originally Posted by bakidola
    thanks for the hint. now another problem: seems i can't reinstall the
    gnome-panel pcakage. i get this error message:

    Code:
    --------------------
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: error: unpacking of
    archive failed on
    file /usr/lib/bonobo/servers/GNOME_NotificationAreaApplet.server: cpio:
    rename failed - Input/output error --------------------

    when executing: sudo zypper install gnome-panel

    the same error message appears if i use "installe software" from yast
    Hi
    Logout of the GUI and press ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a console login. Try
    with the force option --force or -f then exit the console session with
    the command exit.

    ctrl+alt+F7 will get you back to the GUI login

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 14:41, 3 users, load average: 0.13, 0.40, 0.34
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.29


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •