Thread: opensuse 11.1 freezing with desktop effects Alt+Tab

nemesis_knoxville NNTP User

Default opensuse 11.1 freezing with desktop effects Alt+Tab

Hello people!

I'm new on this forum!
    I used to use Ubuntu on my notebook but I decided to try other distributions, so I tried OpenSUSE and I was loving it!

But suddenly I had this problem:
    I turned on the Desktop Effects, and configured it with a lot of animations, including the Alt+Tab effects.
    The problem is when I press Alt+Tab and change the window, the computer freezes and the only way to have the system working again is pressing reset.
    Sometimes when I simply change to the window behind the one I'm using by clicking, the computer freezes.
    When I disable the extra effects and the Alt+Tab effects keeping only the basic effects, I don't have any problems.

I thought the problem was with my video card, that is an Intel 4500mhd, so I tried other distributions like Ubuntu 8.10, Fedora 10 and Mandriva, I configured the same effects and I didn't have any problems, all of them worked fine. Even Windows Vista's effects worked fine here!

I had this problem in both 32 and 64 bit editions of OpenSUSE 11.1.

So, does anyone know how can I solve this problem?

I really liked OpenSUSE and I want to continue using it!!

Thank you and sorry for some writing mistakes!

Default Re: opensuse 11.1 freezing with desktop effects Alt+Tab

Hard lockups with Intel GM965 Graphics - openSUSE Forums

Seems to be more talk going on in this forum, I am h aving same issue.

Hello Folks

I have the same problem with desktop freezing, as I reported in the forum earlier.
    The symptoms are:

1. Caps lock LED starts blinking continuously,
    2. Total desktop freeze. I need to power down the machine to come out of it.

Someone suggested that the problem was beagle. It does not seem to be the case. I have removed beagle and I still suffer from desktop freeze.

Someone else suggested problems with NVidia cards. It does not seem to be the cause, as I have run my desktop for days, on nvidia, with full compiz effects.

However, whenever I turn my wireless on, the desktop freezes after a few moments, showing the symptoms. As long as I have my wireless off, and I work on the wired network, I have absolutely no problems.

Hope this helps the community.

Devendra Rai

I have the same problem!!! Anyone find out how to fix it??

With intel video driver 2.5<2.8, the only way to get a working desktop was by disabling DRI. With 2.8.0 I get some acceleration, but enabling 'Desktop Effects' causes a hard lock. Without 'Desktop Effects' there is only the issue of the screen being shifted over itself. Logging out/in or pressing ctrl+alt+backspace is a work around.

Looks like people with intel graphics need to be patient or install a distro that uses the older intel graphics driver. Slackware 12.0 worked, as did Debian Etch. Building only the older driver is more complex than it seems as the changes involve the kernel, xorg, and mesa.

Unhappy Re: opensuse 11.1 freezing with desktop effects Alt+Tab

Quote Originally Posted by davidgurvich View Post
    With intel video driver 2.5<2.8, the only way to get a working desktop was by disabling DRI. With 2.8.0 I get some acceleration, but enabling 'Desktop Effects' causes a hard lock. Without 'Desktop Effects' there is only the issue of the screen being shifted over itself. Logging out/in or pressing ctrl+alt+backspace is a work around.

Looks like people with intel graphics need to be patient or install a distro that uses the older intel graphics driver. Slackware 12.0 worked, as did Debian Etch. Building only the older driver is more complex than it seems as the changes involve the kernel, xorg, and mesa.
    I was hopping that the next version of OpenSUSE, the 11.2 version,
    was going to have these bugs with Intel video cards fixed. But now
    you have said you had problems with the 2.8.0 driver, I am not so sure!
    I have a Intel GM 965 **** graphic adapter. It had too many problems
    with a fresh install of 11.1, including freezing when running desktop
    effects. Now, after some xorg updates, I have most of the bugs fixed.
    My laptop has Compiz enabled as well it can suspend fine.
    Unfortunately, I have lockups when scrolling on Firefox,
    and playing Assault Cube is too slow!!!

devendra_rai, about this:

I have the same problem with desktop freezing, as I reported in the forum earlier.
    The symptoms are:

1. Caps lock LED starts blinking continuously,
    2. Total desktop freeze. I need to power down the machine to come out of it.

Someone suggested that the problem was beagle. It does not seem to be the case. I have removed beagle and I still suffer from desktop freeze.

Someone else suggested problems with NVidia cards. It does not seem to be the cause, as I have run my desktop for days, on nvidia, with full compiz effects.

However, whenever I turn my wireless on, the desktop freezes after a few moments, showing the symptoms. As long as I have my wireless off, and I work on the wired network, I have absolutely no problems.

Hope this helps the community.

Devendra Rai
    This is a wireless driver problem. I have this same issue with my
    **** Realtek rtl8187b wireless card. If you are using a 32-bit system,
    try installing the driver with ndiswrapper. You could try this in 64-bit too,
    but my experience says it will not work in 64-bit system. Realtek
    wireless is the worst wireless card a Linux user that intends to use 64-bit
    system can ever have! There are native drivers for this card in 11.1, but
    they are so unstable that becomes unusable!