Compiz not working

Hello friends…
im new to Linux and Opensuse 11.1 is the first linux distribution i ever installed. This distro is gr8t. I really love this. Since installation, im trying to enable the compiz in KDE4 but failed. I have a Amd x2 3600+ and a Nvidia 9500GT graphics. I followed the guide listed in this website but no use. I installed the graphic card drivers succesfully. then followed this Compiz Fusion - openSUSE
While trying the checklist, i always get the msg that composite is disabled no matter what i do. I dont have a net connection so i cannot use the one click install.

i tried the instructions here and got a msg that composite is enabled.

su -
nvidia-xconfig --composite
nvidia-xconfig --render-accel
nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24

and when i try running this as mentioned here Compiz Fusion - openSUSE
i get msg that composite is disabled.

grep Composite /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Plz tell me how to enable this feature…

You do NOT need to install it they way have. Compiz is already installed and effects are enabled via the Config Desktop - Desktop - enable desktop effects
all effects

But i already did that previously and nothing is happening. Are there any shortcut keys for enbling that Cube effect? How should i trigger that? I enabled all effects and nothings happening actually.

Have you upgraded your kde to 4.2?

Trouble is they keep moving all the settings and I’m not sure where it will be in 4.1.3
But in all efects you need to check the cube effect

Then look for desktop switching settings
In 4.2 it’s the opening section in Desktop effects
there are 3 drop boxes

window switching
desktop switching
animation speed

What compositing type are you using It is under configure desktop effects-advance. Mine if I chose xrender effects works except for the cube zoom and rotate.Cube zoom and rotate works using opengl for me. I am using intel graphics right now but on another machine I have nvidia gforce7300gt that works the same as intel. Check it out it might be the missing link.

I thought the problem is with KDE and i reinstalled Gnome again. Now i installed the drivers succesfully. In the control center, i selected DESKTOP Effects and when checking “Enable Desktop Effects” its saying that they are not supported under my current configuration. and after enabling everything and closing, it is automatically reverting back and unchecking the enable effects tab. What should i do?

I thought the problem is with KDE and i reinstalled Gnome again. Now i installed the drivers succesfully. In the control center, i selected DESKTOP Effects and when checking “Enable Desktop Effects” its saying that they are not supported under my current configuration. and after enabling everything and closing, it is automatically reverting back and unchecking the enable effects tab. What should i do?

i have the same problems when i enable the effects nothing happen but i suppose that something is wrong with video card geforce 7300 because in the Desktop-System Settings saids that my system dont support compositing and that i need require X extensions XComposite and XDamage . I forget to say that i install opensuse 11.
Some help would be -----

Please let me know if u figure out a way to get this Compiz working on ur system. Bye.

i found the instructions in the nvidia web site just follow them

Nvidia Installer HOWTO for SUSE LINUX users

use the link to get there.

good luck

it really works for me

Hi adrianmeneses…I tried these proprietary drivers from Nvidia previously. Are u able to install them without installing any additional packages from the dvd?Im getting a error msg whenever i try to install them.So i selected ALL the packages from YAST and installed them. Then the drivers are installed and it compiled some kernel on its own. Everything is finished but still im getting the msg “composite extensions disabled” whenever i check it. Also, the “Enable desktop effects” is reverting back to its previous state… May be u used the “one click install” feature. That solves all the problems but im unable connect to internet via openSuse though i have a working connection in XP. Thanks for the suggestion.
I will try reinstalling the OS again and will follow the instruction u provided.You gave me some hope. i will post u after trying once again. Bye.