OpenSuSE 10.2, KDE 3.5

I downloaded the latest version of Compiz from freedesktop.org, a .tar.gz, and I unzipped it into /home/me/bin, where I thought I would install it from.

But I can't figure out how to install it, there are NO instructions, and I can't find anything online. There are only a few shell scripts that seem useless (like install-sh) so I'm stuck. What do I need to do to install it? Do I have to upgrade my whole OS?

-------------------------------------
(Whole Story, if you want to read it)

I have a 56K connection so I haven't been able to upgrade anything, which is why I still have 10.2 and KDE 3.5, plus the YaST software manager is all screwed up anyway, but that's a different story.

So I'm running Compiz, and got tired of being stuck with the crappy gnome window border, and after browsing forums I basically found that to use KDE borders but keep Compiz, the magic word is "kde-window-decorator --replace".

But I don't have kde-window-decorator, but I do have gtk-window-decorator... so after reading some more, evidently it's supposed to come with Compiz. But I have version 0.2.something, so I thought maybe it didn't come with mine (latest is 0.6.something) ... So I decided to upgrade. which leaves me where I am.

The only thing I see is an install-sh script that seems basically useless. There was a configure script which I tried running, and it went through a whole bunch of stuff, and in the end it said "No package 'libstartup-notification-1.0' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix."

but I don't know how to adjust environment variables. They have some kind of 1-click install thing on the website but it doesn't work on my machine.

Installing new software in Linux has pretty much been a mystery to me since I installed it. If there is some kind of guide on how to install new software, I haven't been able to find it.