Garbled screen on login/logout, and other times

When I log into my system, right before the green and grey openSUSE loading screen pops up, my screen becomes garbled. It does the same thing when I log out, and when I view pictures fullscreen in Gwenview.

Screenie attached. Any ideas? Thanks…

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/117583/garbled.jpg

Hi

Does this stop you from working or does it pop-up and go away?

I have the same issue on logout / login and also when i come in from screensaver but it does not stop me working (lasts maybe 1 second).

I am not sure if it is a KDE 4.2 thing or Nvidia?

Let me guess, your running both :wink:

On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 22:06 +0000, dustinmccoy wrote:
> When I log into my system, right before the green and grey openSUSE
> loading screen pops up, my screen becomes garbled. It does the same
> thing when I log out, and when I view pictures fullscreen in Gwenview.
>
> Screenie attached. Any ideas? Thanks…
>
> [image: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/117583/garbled.jpg]
>
>

Do you have an Intel GPU? This is fairly typical if so.
Not sure about Gwenview though. I don’t use that one.

Same problem here. It started to happen after fresh install of suse 11.1 + kde 4.2 + newest nvidia drivers from their repository.

Other then it not looking professional, it really doesn’t stop me working - not that i know of yet.

using nvidia 8800 gt

Same problem here, at each login, with opensuse 11.1 + kde3 + nvidia (latest driver 180) .

Same here. I also have an 8800gt and an Intel cpu. It happened shortly after upgrading Nvidia’s drivers, so I’m pretty sure that’s the cause.

Yep,same story here,using an 8800gts(G80) Nvidia drivers 180.22 ,(KDE 4.2.0) "release 88.4…the problem appear also under KDE 4.1,fresh install of opensuse 11.1,right after I’ve installed the nvidia drivers.
Cheers

Ok, sounds like an nVidia problem then, thanks everyone. I suppose the only option is to wait until a new driver comes out and hope it fixes the problem!

dustinmccoy wrote:

>
> Ok, sounds like an nVidia problem then, thanks everyone. I suppose the
> only option is to wait until a new driver comes out and hope it fixes
> the problem!
>
>
Hello,

I have the same problem on my Medion Akoya E1210 -MD97160 Netbook but I do
not have an NVDIA card in it. In my case it is Intel945 Express Chipset
Family and it happens with openSUSE 11.1 / KDE 3.5.10 during login/logout
and also very short.

Regards / Groeten,
Frans

Any news on this one.

I just yesterday installed 11.1 and nvidia drivers from repo and still this seems to happen.

On 1st login there’s only b&w garbage, but after that it is a compilation of screen images ie. pictures, texts etc.

So far I haven’t heard anything different. I haven’t really done much digging into the topic, though–just haven’t had time. It makes me curious, though…

I have the same garbled lettering problem. I posted about it before. But it mostly affects games I run under wine (steam games in this case), small fonts in the browsers (mostly firefox) and it doesn’t happen all the time. So far it hasn’t affected images. And yes, I have an Nvidia card (an older one).

Ingvar