Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MySql won't start. Socket problem maybe?

Default MySql won't start. Socket problem maybe?

Hi guys. I recently posted a question about phpMyAdmin, that it won't connect to the mysql database. I thought that the problem is in the phpMyAdmin not in the mysql. But now i think different. It seems that the problem is right in the mysql. I think that there was no root user, when mysql was freshly installed. Unfortunately i did everything i can find on internet (some tutorials) but they don`t helped me at all, maybe i fu**ed up the mysql service. So i reinstalled it, and when i want to start it there is no file mysql.sock and i get the following:

linux-nepg:~ # service mysql restart
    Restarting service MySQL
    Shutting down service MySQL done
    Starting service MySQL warning: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock didn't appear within 30 seconds

I thought that this file should be recreated after the mysql was reinstalled, but unfortunately not.
    Help me i am frustrated, for 3 hours i am trying to solve this problem,and without any success. Please answer, and give some hints or ideas. Thank you!

Blog Entries

Default Re: MySql won't start. Socket problem maybe?

Check the ownership of /var/lib/mysql and everything in it.

Sometimes people try to run the mysqld process directly. This causes some files to be owned by root and then when they try to start it from the init script, as they should, something doesn't work.

If you have nothing in the DB, you might consider deleting /var/lib/mysql manually and reinstalling the package, to clear the error. A reinstall or upgrade doesn't delete the DB directory for obvious reasons.

I reinstalled the mysql, and now i can power it up. But there is still no root user, i don`t know why. I installed it via YaSt, and when i try to login i get this:

mysql -u root
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 15
    Server version: 5.0.67 SUSE MySQL RPM

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> use mysql;
    ERROR 1044 (42000): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' to database 'mysql'
    mysql>

PhpMyAdmin can`t access the database with root username, but with any other can access the databases (default ones) but don`t have privileges to create a new database.

Is there a file where i can add root user, or add a password to the root user?
    Thank you

Blog Entries

To set a password for the mysql root user, do (from a root shell):

Code:
    mysqladmin password 'thepassword'
    Then you can login to mysql as root by:

Code:
    mysql -u root -p
    and it will prompt you for the password.

I already tried that. This is what i got:

linux-nepg:~ # mysqladmin password admin
    mysqladmin: Can't turn off logging; error: 'Access denied; you need the SUPER privilege for this operation'

Blog Entries

Bizarre. Have you checked the ownership of /var/lib/mysql like I said?

Yes i found that. The owner is mysql.

User:mysql
    Group: mysql

Is that fine?

Blog Entries

Yes, that's correct. Also all the files in it should be owned by mysql:mysql.

Coming back to your problem, it seems that mysqladmin could not connect to the socket to change anything. So the problem is probably earlier when mysqld could not create the socket.

Do you have an old /etc/my.cnf perhaps, or from some other distro, that specifies a different place for the socket? If you do, delete it and reinstall the package to get a correct copy.

Hmm... every file inside mysql dir has the same parameters as i said above. Today i installed 11.1 until then i had 9.0 suse also with mysql installed. In etc there is only one binary file my.cnf. How to check if there is old copy of it from 9.0?

Blog Entries

You can check if /etc/my.cnf (which is a text file by the way, and can be viewed with a text editor, a binary file would definitely cause mysql to cough and splutter) is the same as from the package with:

Code:
    rpm -V mysql
    If it reports that the file is changed, there are two possibilities: The file came from somewhere else, or you edited it. Either way it's not good if this is supposed to be a fresh install.

If you find that the file is not the one from the package, then delete it and reinstall mysql to get the correct version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast