Gnome causes my system to shut-off

Well, I’ve worked my way through the mtab~ file problems, given up trying to manage the Grub start-up screen, added tsched=0 to PulseAudio’s default.pa file like crazy, and setup OpenOffice software my way, but I still have one unsolved problem. On on old NForce2 system with an Athlon 2500 CPU, Gnome causes the system to shut-off when running screensaver. If instead I use either KDE desktop (or something as old as Tom’s Window Manager), I have no such problem. Then the system happily screensaves for a day (I tested). So somehow the cause is Gnome.

I first assumed that the problem must be in gnome-screensaver, so I killed gnome-screensaver and started xscreensaver for a test. No luck, the system still shut itself off after a half-hour in screensaver. Next, I used gconf-editor to disable all ways that I thought might lead to a turning off of the system (i.e., I set practically every parameter for gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver to disable hibernation, set timeouts to a week etc.). No luck there either. Then I tar’ed up all the files in /var/log, let the system shut-off in screensaver, then compared the saved /var/log files with whatever was reported after. I couldn’t find anything of interest.

Now the shut-off isn’t normal shutdown; SUSE complains with startup that the file systems weren’t properly closed down. Fortunately, file system recovery has always succeeded, but that’s partly because I close most open files before I lock my desktop or let the desktop close for inactively. So something abnormal is happening, but I can’t as yet tell what. And how could the choice of desktop matter?

Thanks for any help, Jim Reed

Maybe check hidden user files .xsession-errors

Might be worth moving the old one first so it’s easier to pick thru
then create your crash

Unfortunately, after several tries I never found an error recorded in .xsession-errors during the unexpected shut-off. By the way, the system doesn’t crash in the usual sense; it just turns-off without going through operating system shutdown. I’d expect a crash to reset the system hardware, then restart instead of turning completely off.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jim Reed

i do not know about the gnome screen savers…but, i know for a fact
that if using KDE you select for random screen savers it will cycle
through all of them…and eventually will find one (or more) which
through interaction with YOUR hardware, KILLS your machine…i’ve
seen it happen on my box and others…

all you have to do is pick ONE screen saver and run it…if it locks
your box after xx hours then DELETE that saver and try again…

eventually you will find one that will run FOREVER, no problem…

BUT, how old are you? why not join the green generation and turn your
monitor OFF if you are gonna be away for a half hour or more??

save the world man! (and your electricity bill too!!)