Online Update autorefresh fails everytime

OpenSuSe 11.1 i586 KDE4

Every single time I click on online update and yast starts refreshing for new packages it fails with this message:

File ‘/repodata/repomd.xml’ not found on medium ‘http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/

But that happens to every single online repository I have (Including Non-OSS). If I retry it leads to the same situation over and over. The funny thing is that if I hit skip everytime it asks me, I do get to the download area and I am able to successfully get new packages.

I’m using a wireless network. Could it be that it is timing out my connection everytime?..I don’t think so.

Any help?

Andres

I’m NOT a YaST hater, so don’t take this wrong, but…

Updating with YaST is a real kludge! :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, this is the way I do it (terminal):

sudo zypper ref  # Refreshes the Repos
sudo zypper lu   # Shows you the changes
sudo zypper up   # Updates the Repos

Simple pimple! You might want to try it… :wink:

Remove the trailing “/” on that link. The installer puts that one there, and it shouldn’t.

Thanks for the help, it works now.

Actually suse updater is the kludge, not yast.

Updating via “Online Update” and “Software Management” yast modules never gives headache.

I’m no expert at this, but when I looked at the link on my 11.1 system, it ended with a trailing “/” as you mentioned above. In fact, all of my update links do.

When I looked at the directory on the download server it looked like this: oss/ So do all the other repo’s I looked at.

So why shouldn’t the trailing “/” be there?

The programmer usually hides this from you, but if the trailing slash is on there, and the program itself adds a slash, the request gets transmitted as something like, “Einfache, sichere Zahlungen per Klick | Link” <- note two slashes.

I can’t say for sure, but I guess whoever wrote that little section of the code for the updater (and the software installer – I’ve had that problem there, too) just adds a trailing slash without checking to see if there’s already one there.

Technically, it’s a bug, but not a serious one. Surprising how many people have been klonged by this one, though … including yours truly! :slight_smile:

OK thanks. So should I (and everyone else) remove ALL the trailing “/” from the repo URLs?

If the program is indeed adding yet another “/” making the URL end in “//”, shouldn’t EVERYONE have problems getting updates or does EVERYONE know to remove the trailing “/”. I would not have known to do, let alone check, that.

OK I edited all my repo URLs - removed the trailing “/”, did a refresh, which failed. I get Timeout exceed messages anytime I attempt to do anything with the Software Updater software, with or w/o the trailing “/”. Gnome btw. Fresh retail (DVD) 11.1 install.

Using FireFox I can get to and see what’s in all the repo links w/no problems.

Thinking it might be an issue with http download stuff (I’m dong this on my company net), I was able to download other HTTP stuff from the laptop sitting next to this workstation.

Now I don’t think it’s a problem of slashes…

I’m using GNOME right now and I confirm the same issue. However, it depends on the reliability of the wireless connection somehow. When I’m home with a slower wireless I get the connection time out message frequently, but when I’m at my university which has a faster and more reliable wireless I get the message only once in a while.

On KDE my problem was weirder, because I could skip the autorefresh and still get to download updates without problem…

I’m puzzled

Andres

On-line update – update:

I now have the on-line update stuff working. What I stumbled on today was a missing HTTP proxy configuration. The workstation I’m running openSUSE on lives on a corporate network and a defined proxy is required to get “outside”. I should have checked for this long ago, but it completely slipped my mind.

All seems to be working well now. Onward and upward.

Dave…