Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    335

    Default Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Hi everyone. I have suse 11.1 with kde 4.1. I'm new to this plasma thing that appears on desktop. All I'm trying to acchieve is to change the icon of one shortcut residing in "Desktop Folder", but I can't ufff, when I try to press apply it says "Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access to write to /home/jani/Desktop/VirtualBox.desktop.", ok so I check:
    Code:
    jani@linux-e685:~/Desktop> dir
    total 20
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 283 2009-01-30 15:37 MozillaFirefox.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 123 2009-01-30 15:37 myComputer.desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users  40 2009-01-30 15:52 nxclient.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/nxclient.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 334 2009-01-30 15:37 Office.desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users  37 2009-01-30 15:50 opera.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 140 2009-01-30 15:37 Support.desktop
    -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 260 2009-01-30 15:37 SuSE.desktop
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users  42 2009-02-03 18:43 VirtualBox.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/VirtualBox.desktop
    So, I am the owner of the link and have write permissions, now I check the file to which the link points:
    Code:
    jani@linux-e685:/usr/share/applications> dir Virtual*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 494 2009-01-22 19:16 VirtualBox.desktop
    The result is the same, why don't I have permission to modify the icon, grrr? Thanks for any advice.

  2. #2
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    The result on the destination of the link isn't the same at all.... only
    'root' has write rights, and you're not 'root' (which is good). Either
    become root temporarily to change that or change rights on that file so
    anybody can modify it (you'll need to change rights as 'root') or just
    copy the file to your desktop and lose the softlink completely and then
    you can tinker any way you like.

    Good luck.





    arcull wrote:
    > Hi everyone. I have suse 11.1 with kde 4.1. I'm new to this plasma thing
    > that appears on desktop. All I'm trying to acchieve is to change the
    > icon of one shortcut residing in "Desktop Folder", but I can't ufff,
    > when I try to press apply it says "Could not save properties. You do not
    > have sufficient access to write to
    > /home/jani/Desktop/VirtualBox.desktop.", ok so I check:
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > jani@linux-e685:~/Desktop> dir
    > total 20
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 283 2009-01-30 15:37 MozillaFirefox.desktop
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 123 2009-01-30 15:37 myComputer.desktop
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users 40 2009-01-30 15:52 nxclient.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/nxclient.desktop
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 334 2009-01-30 15:37 Office.desktop
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users 37 2009-01-30 15:50 opera.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/opera.desktop
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 140 2009-01-30 15:37 Support.desktop
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 jani users 260 2009-01-30 15:37 SuSE.desktop
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 jani users 42 2009-02-03 18:43 VirtualBox.desktop -> /usr/share/applications/VirtualBox.desktop
    >
    > --------------------
    > So, I am the owner of the link and have write permissions, now I check
    > the file to which the link points:
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > jani@linux-e685:/usr/share/applications> dir Virtual*
    > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 494 2009-01-22 19:16 VirtualBox.desktop
    >
    > --------------------
    > The result is the same, why don't I have permission to modify the icon,
    > grrr? Thanks for any advice.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFJiIlO3s42bA80+9kRAsQ+AJ9KSEf1Bz3NG3qxOYb+kxwJoLgyeQCfWl0B
    9Iif/nK1X1w6wN/dNDWoYdI=
    =17vE
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Yes, you're right ab@novell.com, I'm sorry I've overlooked the owner of the file was root and not me. Ok I can can add the "w" rights to group and others, but what about changing the owner via chown to my username? Could that have any bad consequences? Thanks again.

  4. #4
    ab@novell.com NNTP User

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Sure it could.... other users on your system won't have access anymore.
    If you're the only user, though, that's less-bad. Also packages that
    update that file may replace everything and undo it for you. Making the
    group able to write that file along won't help you as you're not a
    member of the 'root' group unless you've modified things.

    Good luck.





    arcull wrote:
    > Yes, you're right ab@novell.com, I'm sorry I've overlooked the owner of
    > the file was root and not me. Ok I can can add the "w" rights to group
    > and others, but what about changing the owner via chown to my username?
    > Could that have any bad consequences? Thanks again.
    >
    >

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

    iD8DBQFJiJGo3s42bA80+9kRAiMLAJ4pYNURY6SF5d5u3jvnbBWfVqn2DgCfajWY
    yq61aznTrbBBzX4DWD1R0Jk=
    =7GrK
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    I got the point, thanks

  6. #6

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Quote Originally Posted by ab@novell.com View Post
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    Sure it could.... other users on your system won't have access anymore.
    I know it's not my thread or anything but I have to ask as that doesn't make complete sense to me

    Why would other users need access to a specific user's desktop shortcuts?


    Still using kde 3.5 myself so I don't know a lot about kde 4/4.1/4.2, is the plasma thinger on the desktop an 'all users' thing then or is it a 'per user' one?

    I would expect any changes a particular user made to it would only be reflected in that user's account, am I wrong there?

    It's of interest to me because I tried making a custom menu of 'most popular app' shortcuts that could be available to all users and failed, got no replies when I asked about it here

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    335

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Yes, I gues the icons on the desktop folder (even if plasma) are owned by the user by default. But I my case the shortcut to VirtualBox is just the symbolic link to the application /usr/share/applications/VirtualBox.desktop, which unfortunately is owned by root, since it the application VirtualBox was installed as root, I did just pull the icon to my desktop, but that does not grant me permissions to make any changes to it, since it inherits permisions from the file it points to. If I'm wrong, correct me

  8. #8

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Ah I see

    Might be easier for yourself next time to find the icon on your suse or kmenu, right-click on it and click Add to Desktop

  9. #9

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Ah I see

    Might be easier for yourself next time to find the icon on your suse or kmenu, right-click on it and click Add to Desktop
    This worked with version 11.1 but having installed openSuse 11.2 for a friend on her laptop, I discovered I could not make any new ones on the desktop as user. So I tried to right-click from the menu and Add it to the Desktop.
    Yes, you get an Icon but that one is also owned by root.
    The result is that these icons do not behave according to the user's desktop settings (e.g. text color) and also you get that plasma menu popup when the mouse gets near.
    This does not happen with the default installed desktop icons.

    Since this friend is brand new to linux, it's better to not getting her confused by such different behaviour.
    This to avoid panic in case she clicks accidently and ending up with opening some settings panel.

    Personally, I do NOT like this change with openSuse 11.2

    At least when you decide to add a desktop icon by right clicking from the menu, these should be user editable.

    Is there a way to change this permanently in case you want to have it that way?

  10. #10
    palladium NNTP User

    Default Re: Don't have permissions to my own desktop?

    sliding wrote:

    > Yes, you get an Icon but that one is also owned by root.


    are you logged into the DE as root?

    if not i can not understand how it becomes owned by root unless it is
    first owned you you the user, and then you the user change ownership
    to root..

    --
    palladium

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •