openSUSE Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk

I have never been able to use suspend to RAM in its default form ever on a variety of hardware. - Suspend to Disk is flaky at best.

For those who have created bug reports in vane about this issue, I know the instant reply is to change to ‘INVALID’ and the reporter is directed by URL to all the parameters that can be used with power management.

If any of the suspend to X does not work we are all suppose to try every available option to get it to work. Bug reports are not accepted ever.>:)>:)>:)

I would really like to know if it works for other users and I am therefore unlucky?!*

What I really want to know is using all defaults:-

How many people out there does native suspend to RAM work for?

How many people out there does native suspend to disk work for?

What version are you using?

*Please discount yourself if you work for Suse.de or Novell.de

• zczc2311 wrote, On 02/03/2009 03:46 AM:

> *Please discount yourself if you work for Suse.de or Novell.de

Care to elaborate?

Uwe

Dear Global Moderator I am always happy to read and value your input. From most all your contributions I have read, I think you more than fit into an active user audience.

I did not mean to try to make this an exclusive thread and perhaps I worded my text poorly. I should also realize that often the translation of anyones text into another language may result in an obtuse dialog.

Yes I do recall that your first language is English and would always value your input of anything I write that either presents or translates into either a verbose or obtuse dialog.

I was just after contributions of user orientated people rather than solely technical people who may not be able to detach them themselves from soapbox threads as issues here are of strong opinion and subject.

I would never intend any dialog ever written by me or anyone else to be non-inclusive. Perhaps I am trying to use text in a survey type where one of the question indicates the information from a narrow audience.

But Hey, Thanks for getting me to expand on this thread because as soon as I hit the submit button I thought more widely on how it could possibly be misinterpreted and be some what obtuse in nature. :slight_smile:

I should have requested a reply note to state if the author was working for Suse.de or Novell.de

Note that much of the suspend-to-ram-or-disk comes from upstream sources, which means that flaws in the kernel / video drivers (for example) can and will cause issues.

Hi;
Always had Compaq/HP laptops, since I remember and never had problems with suspend :slight_smile:

currently on compaq presario v2418au amd/ati - although native ati fglrx drivers can hang graphics card, but on the other hand you need to install those yourself, out of the box you get ati/radeon open source drivers which never gave me any pain.

Cheers.

/me wondering whether to elaborate on above post.

• zczc2311 wrote, On 02/03/2009 08:16 AM:

> I should have requested a reply note to state if the author was working
> for Suse.de or Novell.de

Okay, but why? :slight_smile:

Uwe

It has worked on my past three laptops Averatec, HP, Compaq.

It currently works on my ASUS latop, and my wifes Acer Aspire One.

I am just a Linux user/enthusiast. :slight_smile:

Suspend to disk works for me in 10.3
Suspend to Disk/RAM works for me in 11.1

Am using FOSS drivers only at moment.

Yes but does it work for you?

I can always count on a giggle from you - No I am just a user out there like most all.

Please everyone - I am not trying to make this issue exclusive - I just want to know what happns for users out there and as such I requested a narrow audience

Working fine on a Compal HL-90.

Not working fine on an ancient ASUS laptop since I don’t get the screen back when it wakes up… then again I got the same problem after logging out, so not related :wink:

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 02:46 +0000, zczc2311 wrote:
> I have never been able to use suspend to RAM in its default form ever on
> a variety of hardware. - Suspend to Disk is flaky at best.

I usually find suspend to disk to be ok. Works on most everything I
tried. My tests usually involve network, video and dvd video at
the same time… occasionally I’ll through in an OpenGL game too…
all at the same time.

Suspend to ram… that’s different. There’s a lot of variables
especially with drivers… I find this one usually does not work
for (except on a minority of cases).

I find that for suspend to ram, that using the open source drivers
with a radeon card… works pretty well. Nvidia is a mixed bag and
so is Intel (oddly enough). Intel wireless is a mixed bag, newer
chips 5xxx don’t seem to work as well as the older B/G ones.

But hey… again, there’s a LOT of variables…

But usually suspend to disk always works for me. Some laptops tested:

Dell D600
Dell D630 (Nvidia)
Dell M70
Dell M90
Dell M6300
(and some other older Dells)

HP 2530p (I really like this one… small and fast)
HP 6710w
HP 8710w
(and some other older HPs)

All of the above passed my suspend to disk tests using either
openSUSE 10.3, 11.0… 11.1 on the 2530p.

Can’t remember which of these did ok on suspend to ram (if any).

On 02/03/2009 zczc2311 wrote:
> Please everyone - I am not trying to make this issue exclusive - I
> just want to know what happns for users out there and as such I
> requested a narrow audience

Okay then.
Samsung Q45, S2RAM works fine out of the box.
Never tried S2disk on this one, because the last time I tried, it was about as slow/fast as a reboot.

Uwe

PS:
I’m neither a Novell nor Suse employee :slight_smile:

You’re still a fanboi >:)

HP dv6000, never ever seen suspend to RAM working :(.

It suspends ok (I think), as the suspend light flashes, but on resume all I get are the lights and fan coming on. All else is dead :(.

I always use the non-free nvidia driver if that makes a difference.

This is my current “project”, so if anyone has any ideas please fire away :D.

Suspend to disk works, but is (in my opinion) completely useless as it (as Uwe said) mostly slower than a normal shutdown and boot.

It very likely does, as their binary drivers supported “Suspend to Disk” last, and kernel hackers could do nothing to locate the cause.

At one time, it was possible to use 2D ‘nv’ FOSS driver (it still works with an older card), but that didn’t work so dumping my last Nvidia card was the only solution.

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:56:01 +0000, growbag wrote:

> Suspend to disk works, but is (in my opinion) completely useless as it
> (as Uwe said) mostly slower than a normal shutdown and boot.

Odd, I use it in openSUSE 11.0 on a couple of laptops, and I find it is
faster than a shutdown/reboot.

Jim

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 16:40 +0000, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:56:01 +0000, growbag wrote:
>
> > Suspend to disk works, but is (in my opinion) completely useless as it
> > (as Uwe said) mostly slower than a normal shutdown and boot.
>
> Odd, I use it in openSUSE 11.0 on a couple of laptops, and I find it is
> faster than a shutdown/reboot.

Especially since it brings back the apps in their current state
as well. I guess if nothing is going on, it’s debatable why you
would suspend to disk in the first place.

Booting takes less than 1:30 minutes (usually) in a worst case
scenario (lots of drivers, etc)… is that really unacceptable?

Why would one have to boot up faster just to put something
incomprehensible on their facebook page? :slight_smile:

There’s some rather entertaining stuff on cause of some problems, if you’re into sordid details Guide for BIOS writers

There’s quite a lot of material pointing to anti-competitive behaviour by a well known software company, which may explain some difficulties.

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/07/25/foxconn-bios-acpi/
Bill Gates on Making ACPI Not Work with Linux
Medion MD 98300 Fan Control - HowFlow - It works!
[Phoronix] Foxconn Does Hate Linux Support](http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjYyMA)

Part of the reason for this is explained well in this talkback MoBo Manufacturer Foxconn Refuses To Support Linux

Buying hardware that supports Linux really is important, if you want to see a change in the situation. Whilst kernel hackers do their utmost, folk who think they should buy what they fancy at that moment, and then expect the OS to “just work” are really ignoring the technical reality of the situation.

It worked on my Dell Latitude D400. I didn’t notice any real gain in time to usability restoring from disk and booting up fresh.