Thread: How does KDE 4 spell check work?

Default How does KDE 4 spell check work?

I noticed that KDE 4 doesn't offer the option anymore to choose the spell checker under 'Personal Settings'.

How come? How does the spell checker work now under KDE 4? Which spell checking application does the checking(ispell? aspell? kspell2?)?

Cheers,

homoludens

Default Re: How does KDE 4 spell check work?

I saw a reference to ispell somewhere. Konqueror has a Configure Spellcheck option but there isn't a choice of spellchecker in it.

It's in configure desktop > regional settings in my kde4.2

/Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by homoludens1000 View Post
    I noticed that KDE 4 doesn't offer the option anymore to choose the spell checker under 'Personal Settings'.

How come? How does the spell checker work now under KDE 4? Which spell checking application does the checking(ispell? aspell? kspell2?)?

Cheers,

homoludens
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    Konqueror has a Configure Spellcheck option but there isn't a choice of spellchecker in it.
    Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffro View Post
    It's in configure desktop > regional settings in my kde4.2
    I don't see this setting in my KDE 4.2. How do you get there, from Personal Settings?
    Anyway, it's not that important.

Hmmmmmmmm ... I believe I didn't formulate the questions precisely enough. I didn't mean "How do I get the KDE 4 spell check to work", but rather "How does the KDE 4 spell checker FUNCTION? What application does it use / is it based on? Why is there no longer a choice of spell checkers like in KDE 3.5?"

I don't really followed the story. KDE4 was supposed to have Sonnet (Mountain Goat Programmer), but last I heard is that the developer was MIA.

I suppose it now just uses Enchant... that by default uses Hunspell

Code:
    $ rpm -e --test libenchant1                        
    error: Failed dependencies:                                                        
            libenchant.so.1()(64bit) is needed by (installed) enchant-1.4.2-16.55.x86_64
            libenchant.so.1()(64bit) is needed by (installed) kdelibs4-4.2.0-83.3.x86_64
    $ cat /usr/share/enchant/enchant.ordering                    
    *:myspell,aspell,ispell                                                             
    fi:voikko,ispell,myspell,aspell                                                     
    fi_FI:voikko,ispell,myspell,aspell                                                  
    he:hspell,myspell                                                                   
    he_IL:hspell,myspell                                                                
    yi:uspell                                                                           
    tr:zemberek                                                                         
    tr_TR:zemberek

Quote Originally Posted by RedDwarf View Post
    I don't really followed the story. KDE4 was supposed to have Sonnet (Mountain Goat Programmer), but last I heard is that the developer was MIA.

I suppose it now just uses Enchant... that by default uses Hunspell
    Thanks for the info, RedDwarf. I've checked what packages are installed on my machine, and Enchant is one of them (while KSpell / Sonnet are not).

I've read that Enchant is able to use different backends simultaneously, so since I have aspell as well as ispell installed, I suspect they are all in use. Is there a way to verify this, and/or to customize the Enchant settings?