Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: I really wanted to use suse..but this is just getting stupid

Default Re: I really wanted to use suse..but this is just getting st

Hi I am also new to linux. After for days of night strugle withe opensuse 11.1, at he end it has worked to connect to internet with 3G USB modem HUAWEI E220 HSPDA
    from lsusb
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
    Great it has worked at last and able to update thesystem. So it takes time to get around,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CloudLion_ca View Post
    I was threatened with a boot from #opensuse-chat last night for asking questions and offering suggestions.
    Wow! You must have really grated someone. I can't recall the last time someone threatened to throw me off an IR channel. ... Maybe it was Guru (yaloki) in jest, when I mistakenly ping'd all the channel admin/mods all at once when playing around with IRC chat channel commands. They were not amused to be simultaneously pinged as if there was a massive channel emergency. ...

What did you say? Did you keep a log?

I do know if I go on any distribution channel as an "unknown" and start telling them how to run their distribution, and without knowing the history as who has put in what effort to get where they have got (which may be seriously lacking, but maybe someone gave up weeks of their life to get where the distribution is now), the reception can be rough. Very rough.

A small fun openSUSE channel, where one can go and let go a rant or two, and possibly get a rant or two thrown back, either agreeing (in which case there is harmony) or disagreeing (in which case there are fireworks) ... but rarely is one thrown off, unless of course they are clearly trolling, is #suseunbound That's associated with MattB's suse forum .

I felt more comfortable rambling with people on #opensuse-project which doesn't have a big audience but seems more flexible and open to free chat.
    Indeed. As you note, sometimes one can get a friendlier reception on different forums. ... There is definitely MORE to openSUSE than http://forums.opensuse.org, #suse, and #opensuse-chat, ... BUT having typed that, I have a 100% different view of those than you. I find them very friendly to me. ... But maybe thats because we have different approaches? ... I don't know. ... I have been known to rant at times, and it has not had me turfed yet (but I have had warnings after which I backed off. ... The channel & forum mods have their job to do, they are people, so why give them a rough time .. ? ).

To "coin" and rephrase an old saying: "He who rants and runs away, lives to rant another day" ... ...I'm joking of course. I don't really believe in that. I do believe its far better to contribute, than rant, which is why the VAST majority of my posts are attempts to help users with basic sound problems (and some asking for help with my own technical problems).
    Last edited by oldcpu; 15-May-2009 at 13:23.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by galabala06 View Post
    Hi I am also new to linux. After for days of night strugle withe opensuse 11.1, at he end it has worked to connect to internet with 3G USB modem HUAWEI E220 HSPDA
    from lsusb
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
    Great it has worked at last and able to update thesystem. So it takes time to get around,
    galabala06, congratulations on sorting this by yourself.

And welcome to our forum!

Note this is in the "soap box" area, and this particular thread is a very very small part of what there is on this forum.

For more friendly technical advice on networking (in case you have hiccups) you could try here: Network/Internet - openSUSE Forums

In case you googled your way directly here (and missed the main page), the general forum page is here: http://forums.opensuse.org/

Welcome again to our forum. I hope to see you around.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    galabala06, congratulations on sorting this by yourself.

And welcome to our forum!

Note this is in the "soap box" area, and this particular thread is a very very small part of what there is on this forum.

For more friendly technical advice on networking (in case you have hiccups) you could try here: Network/Internet - openSUSE Forums

In case you googled your way directly here (and missed the main page), the general forum page is here: http://forums.opensuse.org/

Welcome again to our forum. I hope to see you around.
    Cheers!

A success story. Those are the best.

" If you don't play a sport, be one! " Quote from: Max Jackson

I was threatened with a boot from #opensuse-chat last night for asking questions and offering suggestions. Beyond a bad post where my two year old came crying over and threw his bottle at me. 1:00 am toddler event. Not that I bothered the audience with the details.

I certainly didn't feel welcome there.

I felt more comfortable rambling with people on #opensuse-project which doesn't have a big audience but seems more flexible and open to free chat.
    if so and if you felt you were mistreated you can contact the staff and complain against an operator

Quote Originally Posted by microchip8 View Post
    if so and if you felt you were mistreated you can contact the staff and complain against an operator
    Hah, you can't blame me for that - I'm not there! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    did I say it was you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    I didn't say I'd been struck by a death-ray fired by some Linux chick who might have a propensity for evil.

Honestly I didn't!!!
    " If you don't play a sport, be one! " Quote from: Max Jackson

weigell1 NNTP User

I would suggest that instead of placing your energy into complaining that you learn how to get SUSE to allow you to "get permission" to do whatever it, i.e. SUSE asks of you. E.g. have you heard about the SUDO command? I would suggest you learn to use it and maybe even becomming root for the lenght of the command your being asked to use would do you the most good.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718