Xfce where does it install to

I kinda messed up my Xfce
i was wonder and searching for where it install to like .kde4 has its directory where’s Xfce?
i was wanting to rename so i can have the default Xfce back

~/.config/xfce4
~/.config/xfce4-session

The tilde refers to your home directory.

thaxs for the info
but it didn’t do what i wanted it to do when i renamed them dir’s

If it didn’t work, you have to remove first the whole cache folders related to xfce from your /home/user/.cache then rename or delete the xfce folder in your /home/user/.config
It will rebuild in the next login.

Thaxs that did the trick i knew the Xfce expert would show up :slight_smile:

Just 1 other question for you conram
i’ve tryed to install the 4.6rc1 i believe it is with the installer that can be downloaded but errors out, what i was wondering is how did you go about installing your?

There is an opensuse 11.1 repository for xfce 4.6:
XFCE 4.6
download.opensuse.org
/repositories/X11:/xfce:/unstable/openSUSE_Factory/

You can add this in yast2 repositories and when you go to yast2 software management, select the xfce 4.6 repo and upgrade your existing xfce 4.4.3
To be sure that you are getting the right packages check the versions and see if it is tick.

On the side:
All the plugins from xfce 4.4.3 works with xfce 4.6 so there is no worry of getting a dependency. If you encountered the same issue from your first post
just do the same as you did peviously.

Hope this helps.

thaxs again
i didn’t know there was an xfce 4.6 repo going to add that know

the only problem now im having since i updated to 4.6 is the menu doesn’t come up
and i’ve done the above that you mentioned still don’t work so i removed the button and added it again still no go any ideas?

If you mean the panel, use the run command not the terminal and command
xfce4-panel I said not the terminal because closing the terminal will stop the panel from working

no not the panel
when you click on the blue X with the mouse theres no menu in fact it does nothing

So far I have not experience this issue.
If your mouse is still working,using the right mouse click function,try going in to Settings-xfce4 settings manager and open sessions and startup. In logout settings, check if automatically save session on logout is ticked. if yes, un-tick it delete the content of /home/user/.cache, delete xfce and delete the content of menu in /home/user/.config and logout/login.

If your mouse doesn’t respond, it means xfdesktop is not working, open the terminal icon and command xfdesktop, if it works and the pop-up windows doesn’t have decoration, do a command xfwm4 or xfwm4 --replace.

Another guess is something didn’t work right during the upgrade. You can try going to yast2 turn off the old xfce version repo and reinstall the whole xfce package from the xfce 4.6 rc1 repo. It will not hurt your bandwidth,these are only a small amount of packages. I may suggest also to use another session in doing this. You may use the icewm.

Hope this help a bit.

well nothing seemed to have worked cause when i right click on the desktop i don’t get the option that you mentioned but i’ve seen it in the previous version of xfce
i’ve even removed the old repository like you suggested that didn’t work also removed both repo’s and totally uninstalled xfce deleted the cache and config files for xfce then reinstalled just 4.6 still no menu
so i will just stick with the older xfce 4.4 i think thats what it is lol
since i don’t just it on a regular basis was just wanting to try something new out since yours always looked so nice

I’m sorry to hear that it didn’t workout. Should you wish to install it in the future I will try to help in my small capacity in case you encounter some issues again. I will also try and see if I can find something similar to your problem and note it just in case it occur again in the future.

you were a big help and appreciated it even though it didn’t fix the problem but the way i look at it is,thats the way it goes sometimes lol
and thxs again

There is no longer unstable repo. X11:xfce now contains Xfce 4.6 and all other packages built against it - see Xfce 4.6.0 released (and ready for testing!)