Thread: user files vanish

Default user files vanish

Hi,
    due to some power failure my pc was abruptly turned off. When I turned it on again, I could not get access to my personnal directory and got this message in the log file: " gconfd (Papaya-3700) failed to load source "xml : readwrite : /home/Papaya/.gconf" : failed could not make dir " /home/Papaya/.gconf" : no such file or dir"
    Using Yast users manager Papaya still exist, and logged as root I could not file Papaya in the /home file !!!
    What am I to do to get my user directory back, and if I cannot get it back, how to get back all the data in the directory ?
    thanks
    Mahanand

Default Re: user files vanish

Quote Originally Posted by mahanand View Post
    Hi,
    due to some power failure my pc was abruptly turned off. When I turned it on again, I could not get access to my personnal directory and got this message in the log file: " gconfd (Papaya-3700) failed to load source "xml : readwrite : /home/Papaya/.gconf" : failed could not make dir " /home/Papaya/.gconf" : no such file or dir"
    Using Yast users manager Papaya still exist, and logged as root I could not file Papaya in the /home file !!!
    What am I to do to get my user directory back, and if I cannot get it back, how to get back all the data in the directory ?
    thanks
    Mahanand
    Either, as root, using the DVD in Rescue or the LiveCD in a terminal do a file system check on the partition involved. If /home is one a separate partition, that check it. If /home is on the same partition as root, then check that. If you used ext3, then the command is:

Code:
    e2fsck -f /dev/sd<x><y>
    Where <x> is the drive letter and <y> the partition number (e.g., /dev/sda2). Be absolutely certain the partition has not been mounted (e2fsck will warn you if it is).

Then attempt to mount the partition, and if that works, take a look at the contents in a file manager or from the command line with the ls command. Something like this should work:

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/fixme
    mount -t ext3 /dev/sd<x><y> /mnt/fixme
    cd /mnt/fixme
    ls
    There is a good chance that the e2fsck will fix the file system and your data will be there.

hi
    I tried e2fsck, but the partition was mounted.
    What should I do then ?
    thanks
    Mahanand

Just unmount it. The command is:

Code:
    umount <drive/partition>

Ok, I finally managed to do everything you'd previously advised and got the following answer : 3.5 % non contiguous files. Nothing about /home/Papaya, which really seems to have dissappeared !!! Is this possible ?
    Thanks
    Mahanand