postfix emails garbled?

Hi -
I’ve got a strange postfix problem under opensuse 11.

I have a couple admin type aliases setup on this box. Users can email these addresses and the messages get routed to the right person. Everything works fine. However, whenever one user replies to one of the messages from one of the local accounts, the email returns in an unreadable format.

Example:
VGVzdC4NCg0KLS0tLS1PcmlnaW5hbCBNZXNzYWdlLS0tLS0NCkZyb206IE1lZGlhIC0gV2ViIFN1
cHBvcnQgW21haWx0bzptZWRpYUBoZWxwLndpbGwudWl1Yy5lZHVdIA0KU2VudDogVGh1cnNkYXks
IEphbnVhcnkgMjksIDIwMDkgNDoxOCBQTQ0KVG86IEJhcnJpbmVhdSwgTWFyeSBCDQpTdWJqZWN0

I am not sure why this is happening. Other users can reply and their messages come through fine. It is an attachment that’s not decoding properly? Looking at the headers doesn’t reveal much (at least for me - I am new to Postfix).

Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
acceptlanguage: en-US
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=“utf-8”
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
MIME-Version: 1.0

How can I debug this strange problem?

Thanks.

This is not a postfix problem. This is one of those mail bodies that’s encoded in base-64, as you can see from the Content-Transfer-Encoding. I think Outlook does this. So it’s up to the mail user agent to do the right decoding when displaying it. Or go around and get the user to stop using that encoding if it really bothers you.

PS: I ran your garble through base64 -d, after removing the extra space stuck in the middle of the three lines, and this is the message. Hope you didn’t mind:

Test.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:18 PM
To: Barrineau, Mary B

rotfl!

I love it …

Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of Base 64 encoding? Ken_yap knows!