Not able to set screen resolution for suse 64 bit on vmware

Hi there!

I’m using OpenSuSE 11.1 x86_64 as guest on VMware Workstation 6.5 on Windows Vista Ultimat 64 bit host.

When I use Gnome desktop, I’m able to set scree resolution for suse to 1440*900, properly.

However when I try to set it to 1440900 in KDE, the resolution automatically get set to 14001050!!!

Also I’m not able to share the folders between host and guest os through “Shared Floder” option in VMware, in fact I’m not able to install VMwate Tools on guest os!!!

It shows following error when I try to install VMware Tools from tar.gz file:

The following VMware kernel modules have been found on your system that were 
not installed by the VMware Installer. Please remove them then run this 
installer again.

vmmemctl
vmhgfs
vmxnet
vmblock

Execution aborted

Please help me solving these problems.

Thanks in advance.

Madhav V. Khadilkar.

Having the same issue here, and so far no solution. I tried the 32bit, no success. Kubuntu and many other distros work good on the same VMware Server 2.

Paul

Not sure regarding your screen resolution problem (I only install one desktop on each instance I support),

But your “VMware Shared Folders” has always been a nettlesome problem going back many years and many versions.

The problem appears to be that the “Shares” require Samba, but more interestingly also requires NetBIOS Name Resolution which is not supported by default when the GuestOS is pointing to the HostOS for name resolution (which typically is the case for NAT, Host and sometimes Bridging network configurations). Both the GuestOS and the HostOS need to point to a remote machine that can provide proper name resolution which isn’t always available or desirable.

So, what is the best solution to transfer files then? I generally run SCP using IP addresses to identify the hosts as the simplest solution (WinSCP if the client is a Windows OS), although there are other options (like FTP, HTTP) that require plenty more work.