KDE4/Google Earth problem/OpenSuse 11.1

I think I either have a problem with the Intel driver or maybe with the Mesa3d library or … something else maybe. My configuration is as follows:
Intel 965 GM
OpenSuse 11.1
KDE4(3d desktop effects activated)
Driver: 1.4 Mesa 7.2 DRI

First of all, I can clearly notice a strange behavior of all OpenGL screensavers, as well in some apps using OpenGL(like Space Simulator). Second, I tried to install Google Earth - it freezed my laptop during the start, after trying to visualize the picture of the Earth. Third, I added

Option “AccelMethod” “exa”
Option “MigrationHeuristic” “greedy”
Option “ExaNoComposite” “false”

within my xorg.conf - it helped, so now Google Earth doesn’t lock my whole system but continues to run.

Unfortunately at least 80% of the textures are either blank or black!!!

Every piece of software which uses OpenGL looks scrambled. The icons within the Suse TRAY disappeared. I think it’s something with the Mesa and DRI, since everything worked fine with OpenSuse 10.3, please help!!!

Same problem here, x_64, intel GM 45 chipset. GoogleEarth causes hard lockups, need to use power button to restart.
Jack

I had the same problem with intel, google and kde 4.2
I asked for a solution on forums.kde.org, and got this reply:

intel graphics vs google earth vs kde4 - 1

Remove those lines from xorg.conf, Then install the following packages from the blow repository and restart:

Mesa
libdrm
xorg-x11-driver-video

repository: Index of /repositories/X11:/XOrg/openSUSE_11.1

Regards, Rinse

Rinse,

Thnx a lot but that solutions helps partly, seems like now it’s not necessary to add

Option “AccelMethod” “exa”

Option “MigrationHeuristic” “greedy”

Option “ExaNoComposite” “false”

manually within the xorg.conf to avoid the system freeze. However, I still experience the problems with the black, missing or scrambled (OpenGL) polygons within the picture of the Earth.

I’m also still experiencing that problem.
A workaround is to set the desktop effect of kde 4 to xrender in stead of opengl. But that type of rendering is a lot slower and behaves unexpectedly with some desktop effects, like wobbly windows.