Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME is better than KDE

Blog Entries

Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

But somehow some bugs get fixed, so some non-developers must be moonlighting as developers.

Sometimes it comes down to an argument about what is a bug. I know that even in the applications world, some users ask about the lack of features that were never in the design spec and logically never should be. And users sometimes have pilot errors and then blame the software. One user copied a document to a new location and then proceeded to edit the old location, then complained that her changes didn't show up on the web in the new location. She was very indignant about that until I pointed out what had happened.

> But somehow some bugs get fixed, so some non-developers must be
    > moonlighting as developers.

Partly, but developers will fix things without admitting there was ever
    a problem.

Blog Entries

Sometimes it takes a few bug reports before it's recognised as a general problem rather than pilot error. It's human to be optimistic and developers are often too human.

Microchip,
    I've been saying the same thing for a while, even said that Gnome might adopt its own version of plasma. When that happens I'll just shake my head & think," here we go again."
    Gnomers again I say to you all don't ever say never!
    Finally, another thing I keep saying one DE is not better than the other or worse just different.
    I'm just a curious cat
    My 64 bit: RADEON RX 570 |CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600
    MOTHERBOARD B450M D53H GGABYTE
    Opensuse Tumbleweed Plasma 5

Quote Originally Posted by GofBorg View Post
    KDE4 had a great deal of bugs and stability issues for many people, one could see how
    they may accept GNOME. Torvalds did. I'm a 3.5 user, still waiting for KDE to flesh out.
    Linus clearly would have stuck with KDE 3.5 if Fedora had given him the option. It's hardly a ringing endorsement of GNOME, more avoiding development growing pains in an area he's not involved with. He has said he'll look at KDE4 again in the next Fedora release.

Compared to the thread on GNOME printing, with the famous "Just tell people to use KDE", and the "idiots" mindset stuff, this was all rather mild and much less entertaining.

I did leave KDE twice for GNOME. Here's why:

1.Much nicer themes, and a cleaner, more consistent UI.

2. I use Firefox & Evolution, currently there is nothing better available in Linux. KDE PIM was a constant annoyance over years for me. During my 6 months test drive of KDE4 I used Opera for Web'n'Mail...

3. Developers attitude. Really. Don't judge a project by their fan boys. Those are always silly. The KDE project does more and more lock up themselves in a wagon ring. "Users are irrelevant" is the more polite way they deal with those nasty "Lusers" complaining. Also, there is the well known "Not Invented Here" hampering progress of the Desktop and the old finger pointing. Of course it is the Web being incompatible, Konqueror is just according to standards. And so on...

I don't care anymore...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bela42 View Post
    I did leave KDE twice for GNOME. Here's why:

1.Much nicer themes, and a cleaner, more consistent UI.
    Funny, ... I have always found KDE3 themes nicer, and a much wider selection. One can select KDE3 themes that are as clean, or cleaner than that of the default Gnome setup in most distro's, or one can select a more complex KDE3 theme. I found one has a wider choice in KDE3.

2. I use Firefox & Evolution, currently there is nothing better available in Linux.
    What has that got to do with one's desktop selection? I used Firefox and Evolution for years with KDE3. This is NOT Gnome specific.

3. Developers attitude. Really. Don't judge a project by their fan boys.
    Actually, if you read Linus Torvalds views on this, he has always complained that Gnome developers were worse than KDE developers when it came to attitude. Gnome developers are known for dictating there is the Gnome development way or no way ... He got so frustrated at one point, that he developed some code for Gnome, and challenged the Gnome developers to either use the code, or justify why they had to reject the code.

Only recently (because of poor stability in the KDE-4.x implementation in Fedora) did Linus decide to give Gnome a try (noting KDE-3x is NOT available for the latest Fedora, unlike openSUSE where KDE-3.5.10 IS available). But I suspect his view about Gnome developers has NOT changed.

I'm sure you have good reasons for liking Gnome (as this does tend to be a subjective assessment, and we all have our preferences) but your articulated reasons don't "ring" accurately to me.

... Still, I can understand it is difficult to articulate reasons in a subjective area (in this case, articulating why you prefer Gnome) .... I significantly prefer KDE, but I have a hard time articulating the reasons.

If you like gnome, it is your choice, it's the one you like what can we do.
    In my case I like xfce, it is the one I like to use.
    But for aesthetics I go 100% with kde 4, really eye pleasing, ultra modern
    I wonder when it reaches its adulthood?
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu View Post
    Funny, ... I have always found KDE3 themes nicer, and a much wider selection.
    Even when I favored KDE, I always found it clunky, even when new themes were used. To me Gnome has always looked better. Not that I'm really into looks any more. I just want it to work these days.

The thing with 3.5.10 is it's support days are numbered. Fairly soon users are going to have to move to something else. I just made my decision early on by moving to Gnome so I hopefully wouldn't have to move again any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by VorianGrey View Post
    I just made my decision early on by moving to Gnome so I hopefully wouldn't have to move again any time soon.
    *chuckles*
    Just when the GNOME developer's are thinking about 3.0 and need to get more innovative. But I guess they will prioritise GNOME2 coexistance, rather than rely on distro's to sort it for their users. Interestingly Plasma is catching interest, it might even be ported.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast