Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME is better than KDE

Hybrid View

Default GNOME is better than KDE

It just is. I tried KDE 4.2, after all the babble about KDE 4.2 being the culmination of the KDE 4.x effort, um, no. I tried KDE 4.1 as well and remember hearing the same thing, and now people are pushing 4.2. I even remember some pushing 4.3 in Suse 11.2.

The story:
    I'm a distrohopper.
    I used Ubuntu 8.10, but wanted to try KDE 4.2 and felt that Ubuntu's implementation was lacking. So I tried Suse 11.1 with KDE 4.1, than upgraded to 4.2.
    Upgrading left me with a semi-broken system and I had to re-do the config files. That is unreasonable.
    There was no compelling advantage to KDE 4.2 over the GNOME 2.24 desktop I also had installed in openSUSE 11.1. And while Suse/Kde had some advantages over Ubuntu/GNOME, those were cross-desktop and applied in Suse/GNOME as well.
    The customization tag that so many people apply to Kde seems false. Not enough themes, even though it's been out for 2 years. Not enough customize options, and totally misplaced. I couldn't find the option to set to double-click, for instance! It was set to single-click and the option was hidden. The Configure Desktop screen is even more vague and limited than GNOME's preferences. And it hardly has all the options of KDE, whereas all the options that are user-visible in GNOME are in one place, with the exception of Nautilus behavior.
    The Dolphin/Konqueror config screens are a mess compared to Nautilus/Firefox. And the poor behavior when running critical GTK apps (Firefox, OOo, Xchat) irked me.
    Overall, I was disenchanted with KDE.

Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

this is only your OWN personal opinion. I'm sure many would disagree with gnome being better than kde 4.2. Also do you really want to start YET ANOTHER gnome vs kde war? Or are you just ranting and trolling here?

Quote Originally Posted by ryaxnb
    And the poor behavior when running critical GTK apps (Firefox, OOo, Xchat) irked me.
    That fact that Firefox is even a GTK application amazes me beyond all belief - it would also explain why it a) looks like a floating piece of turd and b) runs like a dreary camel without legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysantine View Post
    That fact that Firefox is even a GTK application amazes me beyond all belief - it would also explain why it a) looks like a floating piece of turd and b) runs like a dreary camel without legs.
    Its not a GTK app, its a XUL app that runs in a GTK interface.
    But it can run in QT interfaces too as seen in Mac OSX.

> The customization tag that so many people apply to Kde seems false.

These comments are usually directed at KDE 3.5.X.
    KDE 4.X has been gnomified in the name of 'usability' so it's
    not surprising you can't tell any difference.

As an old KDE fan, for me Gnome is more usable these days. I'm all for change but it should be change for the better, which means you get to keep your old functionally and build new functions on it. I keep trying KDE but that something that made me love KDE in the beginning is gone for me.

Still, it's mainly a personal choice. One thing works for one and another works for someone else. I'm glad we're not all alike.

>> The customization tag that so many people apply to Kde seems false.
    >
    > These comments are usually directed at KDE 3.5.X.

What I mean to say is 3.5.x was much more customizable than 4.X presently
    is. A lot of the missing customization is supposed to be added back into
    the 4.x series at some point. 4.x is still not feature complete. 4.2 is
    however a step in the right direction by most accounts.

On my first encounter with Dolphin, I actually complained of Gnomification in the bug report (I think I suggested it looked like Havoc Pennington had got at it, so if I wanted that I'd be a GNOME user).

This was denied to be the intent, Konqi file browsing would live on, and there has been movement to add the missing features that I used heavily. The comments hopefully will prove unfair, though the HIG they're using does require simple screens with clear and obvious options, not requiring further explanation.

Chrystantine's comment says more about him than FF3.

Quote Originally Posted by ryaxnb View Post
    It just is. I tried KDE 4.2, after all the babble about KDE 4.2 being the culmination of the KDE 4.x effort, um, no.
    When I tried Ubuntu 7.10 and GNOME, I gave it more than a month from instatllation, before I came to any conclusion. UIs are like that, they shape your habits and it's a mistake not to give them time, and find new ways of working.

Moving to KDE 3.5, it was clearly far more ergonomic for me, and also relieved the huge sense of frustration induced by the patronising tone, and limitted exposure of features, which meant it took me far longer to find out how to do something and it always seemed to involve annoying multiple actions.

Note that's a personal choice, and I'm happy that GNOME works for other ppl, so long as there's an alternative that meets my needs better, and I'm not forced to use it.

Blog Entries

I've been playing with Gnome on Fedora-10, where purportedly Fedora has a good gnome implementation. Its not bad, but IMHO its a distant second compared to openSUSE-11.1 KDE-3.5.10.

The beauty of openSUSE today is that people like me can mix 'n' match.

I've got a Gnome desktop that works across two monitors (unlike KDE3), some KDE3 apps (amarok, k3b) that IMO are better than their Gnome equivalents, devilspie to give me some features I miss from KDE3, and cairo-dock for eye candy and the dock I've always felt was better than any panel or menu.

Since this is a soapbox, my mild rant is about those people who can't be bothered to tweak their environment - as if store bought clothes or shoes could ever fit better than tailor made.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast