Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME is better than KDE

Default GNOME is different from KDE

Gnome is different from KDE, thus it is a matter of personal likes and dislikes mainly. When I was a beginner in Linux, I used KDE, because it was just more similar to Windows interface. Now, I use Gnome, because it is faster with my hardware. In fact, I see no critical point that would force me to stay with KDE or with Gnome. To my needs, they are equally functional.

Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

Quote Originally Posted by czerro View Post
    If you spend the majority of your time gazing at your eyecandy jumble of a desktop while anticipating the next wonderous application transition animation, KDE 4.x is for you. If it is important to be able to quickly navigate your menu system, and you spend most of your time with your face in some software then go with Gnome.
    People still click around in menu's? In both Vista and KDE all I do is type in the first two letters and click the result. The programs it doesn't work for (e.g. 'Install Software') I put under favorites or if I use them REALLY often, make a quicklauncher on the mainpanel and problem solved.

Could try lancelot as well if you don't like the default menu. I'm using it as well... but for the simple reason that it allows the icon to be customized.
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

Ummm.....gave up on Gnome because of problems in the 11.1 upgrade, went to KDE4 and was gobsmacked. It was brill.

I'm back using Gnome now, because a) it works (KDE no doubt will get sorted), b) it makes more sense to me c) functionality appeared to be there

What do I prefer? Gnome or KDE? Gnome for stability and functionality, KDE for glitz.
    Linux User No. 483060

I have tried all of the major desktops gui's and I have been a constant user of linux distros for 10+ years. And I think KDE 3.5.x is the most stable of all the desktop gui's. It is true that Sun uses Gnome in Solaris and I think Gnome has a "look & feel," which is better than KDE 3.5.x, but I have found KDE 3.5.x to be less buggy and more stable. Beyond these points, it is purely personal preference.

Two simple questions:

1) Does your desktop allow you to place your windows where you want them and save the locations?

2) Can you have a transparent menu bar?

gnome 0, kde 2 !

The world is full of alot of nongeek people who have used mostly XP and kde 3.5 can be set up to be much like XP. To get people to try linux, this helps. I have to use XP [mostly watching hourglass spinning] @ work so the kde 3 interface being alot alike is nice.

Blog Entries

I've been using Linux for about a year now and love it. When it comes to DE's it's a personal choice. If it works for you use it.

I used Gnome in Ubuntu 7.10, KDE 3.5.9 in OpenSUSE 10.3, KDE 3.5.10 in 11.0, KDE 4.2 in 11.1.

I don't really care which one is better, has more features, etc. I use the programs more than changing the DE!

Currently, KDE 4.2 works, has alot of new features and looks great! I have all the Compiz functions I wanted using Kwin, Widgets I like, and still have the same programs as alway!

Linux, the freedom of choice! (Beat that, Micro$oft!)
    "To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."

i tried KDE 4.2 on 11.1 for a while,had many problems with it,so i switched to gnome again till 11.2 comes with the "hopefully more stable" KDE 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by ryaxnb View Post
    Not enough themes, even though it's been out for 2 years.
    KDE 4 has been out for 1 year not 2. KDE 4.0 was released in January 2008.

I like them both as long as I get my stuff done However I prefer Gnome because I'm more used to it and it's more stable. But you can tweak them both enough to make a windows user wanting linux . I have a little trouble with Kwin but nothing major that interrupts my everyday work. So you get my point Use what makes you happy and don't bother others with unnecessary arguments

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast