Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Results 171 to 177 of 177

Thread: GNOME is better than KDE

  1. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Well with Plasma 5 coming into the fray gnome might see a bit of an upswing ...
    ... especially since they have deprecated, with a great deal of controversy, a very popular feature, which is to have different backgrounds and widgets for each virtual desktop. Despite a lot of appeals otherwise, they are simply refusing to bring it back.

    It now gets more complicated, especially for those who are new to multiple desktops and multiple activities, by creating a system that is like arrays within arrays.

    With KDE Plasma 5:

    You can have different backgrounds and widgets in each Activity.

    You can have multiple Desktops within each Activity, but all Desktops within that Activity will have to use the same background and widget.

    I like the Desktop switching with the cube, much more versatile.

    I do not like the Acitivities switching, much more cumbersome and far less attractive.

    And nobody has yet convinced me that having the additional Activities feature is such a great benefit, when it could all be handled nicely with just multiple Virtual Desktops alone.

    I know I will get arguments about that and about how wonderfull Activities are, but I disagree completely, with the right to disagree.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  2. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,641
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    With KDE Plasma 5:

    You can have different backgrounds and widgets in each Activity.

    You can have multiple Desktops within each Activity, but all Desktops within that Activity will have to use the same background and widget.
    I first used KDE4 with opensuse 11.3. As best I recall, it was KDE 4.4.4.

    You could have multiple desktops with each activity, but all desktops in that activity had the same background and widgets.

    History is caught in a time loop.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I first used KDE4 with opensuse 11.3. As best I recall, it was KDE 4.4.4.

    You could have multiple desktops with each activity, but all desktops in that activity had the same background and widgets.

    History is caught in a time loop.
    No kidding.

    I like the way it is, now, (at least in 13.1), that I have 4 Desktops, only 1 Activity (labelled "Desktop"), and I have 4 different backgrounds, 4 different sets of widgets, 4 different panels, and even Dolphin icons on each desktop that launch to different directories that match the purpose of the particular desktop.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

  4. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    12,641
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    No kidding.

    I like the way it is, now, ...
    Yes, so do I.

    Remembering back to 4.4.4, I had 4 desktops with different backgrounds on each. To achieve that, I needed 4 activities. But KDE never could keep straight which activity was for which desktop. It kept switching around randomly. So I was glad when then went to the current arrangement.

    But the current arrangement makes activities not very useful. I guess they are proud of those activities, so they want to foist them on us again. Let's hope it can actually work this time.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

  5. #175

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    ... especially since they have deprecated, with a great deal of controversy, a very popular feature, which is to have different backgrounds and widgets for each virtual desktop. Despite a lot of appeals otherwise, they are simply refusing to bring it back.

    It now gets more complicated, especially for those who are new to multiple desktops and multiple activities, by creating a system that is like arrays within arrays.

    With KDE Plasma 5:

    You can have different backgrounds and widgets in each Activity.

    You can have multiple Desktops within each Activity, but all Desktops within that Activity will have to use the same background and widget.

    I like the Desktop switching with the cube, much more versatile.

    I do not like the Acitivities switching, much more cumbersome and far less attractive.

    And nobody has yet convinced me that having the additional Activities feature is such a great benefit, when it could all be handled nicely with just multiple Virtual Desktops alone.

    I know I will get arguments about that and about how wonderfull Activities are, but I disagree completely, with the right to disagree.
    To be fair KDE isnt the only one who abandoned this feature *cough* gnome *hack*

  6. #176

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I just wish that extentions didnt break every time with a new version of gnome, the ever constant changes of api must be a logistics nightmare.
    KDE has related issues, luckily they are easy to forget once you are set up https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...h_on_occasion/ He use the word "polish" showing he is a Youtube reviewer

    Gnome answer questions like "Are GNOME Shell Extensions safe?" with "may be not", so they review where KDE apparently goes with what ever those weird sites under http://opendesktop.org/ decides = community figure it out. Gnome has more need to curate because shell code but still.

    May be not so many race around looking for more KDE features but setup is messy. Have not tried Plasma 5 but I assume nothing has changed.

    If they made own site not looking like from 2005 offering best of the best plus updated and correct how-tos on tinkering, there is promotional value to gain Youtube people will love it too.

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: GNOME is better than KDE

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    But the current arrangement makes activities not very useful. I guess they are proud of those activities, so they want to foist them on us again.
    That is my take-away on it, too. However, the whole KDE Plasma thing is open source, correct? It would sure be nice if the dissenting KDE fans who are good with coding would spin off a version that keeps it like it is, or better still, improves it.

    Let's hope it can actually work this time.
    Oh, they probably ( ) can get it actually working, this time. But, I still will not be happy with it, and will stick with v4 as long as I can.
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •