Samba, from suse 11.1 to vista

Hi all :wink:
i’m trying to have full access to my local network vista pc from suse 11.1.
On suse 11.1 i installed samba with # zypper in samba* and then used the yast tool for samba server, i asked the daemon to be charged while booting and changed the workgroup to Home (which is what’s on Vista).
When i acces to Vista from Suse 11.1 in Dolphin with smb:/ip_of_vista_pc and using a user ID and password it does not give me a good result : some directories are hidden , some seems locked with a padlock on them.

I have a "this file does not exist " message and then a “the process treating smb:/vista_pc_ip stopped in an unexpected way”

Is there something more to do on Suse or on Vista ?
How can i be sure the id and password i’m using on vista are the root one’s ?

i have the same problems with konqueror : i see some of the files in the directory, not all of them
i also have the error messages "this file does not exist " message and then a “the process treating smb:/vista_pc_ip stopped in an unexpected way”

Is there something more to do on Suse or on Vista ?
How can i be sure the id and password i’m using to acces vista from dolphin or konqueror are vista’s admin one’s ?

Padlocks? Hmm… Try setting up in vista’s network and sharing centre with “Password Protected = OFF”, just to eliminate that possibility for the time being.

Also the RPMs you probably got: samba & samba-client?

Also check the firewall with this:

cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | egrep "FW_DEV_EXT=|FW_CONFIGURATIONS_EXT=|RELATED_EXT="

It should return like this:

FW_DEV_EXT=“any eth0 wlan0”
FW_CONFIGURATIONS_EXT=“netbios-server samba-server”
FW_SERVICES_ACCEPT_RELATED_EXT=“192.168.1.0/24,udp,137”

Hello :wink:

is a password needed on vista ? i had a password mandatory to share files, i put this off for the moment.

yes i installed at least samba and samba-client
here’s what i have :
~> cat /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 | egrep “FW_DEV_EXT=|FW_CONFIGURATIONS_EXT=|RELATED_EXT=”
FW_DEV_EXT=“any eth0”
FW_CONFIGURATIONS_EXT=“samba-server”
FW_SERVICES_ACCEPT_RELATED_EXT=""

do i have to add ?:
netbios-server
192.168.1.0/24,udp,137 : is this supposed to be the ip of the vista pc or of the suse pc ? shall i put there something like 192.168.0.0/24 (between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.0.24) ?
what’s udp and 137 for ?

i changed my parameters as you said in #2
i still have the same problems in dolphin and konqueror with smb:/ip_of_the_vista_pc :frowning:

Those were just a few tweaks to eliminate uncertainties.
I can’t think what is causing your problem. I hope someone else has some ideas.

PS - FYI:

192.168.0.0/24,udp,137 is read by the system and is interpreted as:
allow udp signals on port 137 from the network range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255

netbios-server is a new device the devs quietly added to SuSEfirewall2 in 11.1. It opens ports that used to be opened in earlier Suse releases by a different method.