Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    I upgraded from openSuSE11.0 to 11.1 and pulled up a spreadsheet I had used in 11.0. In it I have a couple of data charts. In 11.0 the X-Axis showed labels for the data points correctly. Now in 11.1, the X-Axis labels either don't show at all, or only partially. The sheet is saved as a .xls type sheet and under windows office the x-axis labels show fine. I am running X86_64 versions and I use all software versions as listed on the OpenOffice.org repository.

    I've tried recreating the chart on a new tab with the same result. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Graham P Davis NNTP User

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    DMCorsa wrote:

    >
    > I upgraded from openSuSE11.0 to 11.1 and pulled up a spreadsheet I had
    > used in 11.0. In it I have a couple of data charts. In 11.0 the X-Axis
    > showed labels for the data points correctly. Now in 11.1, the X-Axis
    > labels either don't show at all, or only partially. The sheet is saved
    > as a .xls type sheet and under windows office the x-axis labels show
    > fine. I am running X86_64 versions and I use all software versions as
    > listed on the OpenOffice.org repository.
    >
    > I've tried recreating the chart on a new tab with the same result. Any
    > thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    >


    I've already raised this one but haven't had a full cure. However, it was
    suggested to me that I try "XY (Scatter)" instead of "Line". I highlighted
    the data I wanted to use and then let the wizard build the graph. I didn't
    get what I wanted first time but a bit of experimenting to see the effect
    of different selections was easy enough. Worked better for me than "Line"
    ever had.

    I must admit that I still don't know how I'd get a column display to work
    properly.

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham P Davis View Post
    DMCorsa wrote:

    >
    > I upgraded from openSuSE11.0 to 11.1 and pulled up a spreadsheet I had
    > used in 11.0. In it I have a couple of data charts. In 11.0 the X-Axis
    > showed labels for the data points correctly. Now in 11.1, the X-Axis
    > labels either don't show at all, or only partially. The sheet is saved
    > as a .xls type sheet and under windows office the x-axis labels show
    > fine. I am running X86_64 versions and I use all software versions as
    > listed on the OpenOffice.org repository.
    >
    > I've tried recreating the chart on a new tab with the same result. Any
    > thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    >


    I've already raised this one but haven't had a full cure. However, it was
    suggested to me that I try "XY (Scatter)" instead of "Line". I highlighted
    the data I wanted to use and then let the wizard build the graph. I didn't
    get what I wanted first time but a bit of experimenting to see the effect
    of different selections was easy enough. Worked better for me than "Line"
    ever had.

    I must admit that I still don't know how I'd get a column display to work
    properly.

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    I tried the scatter and though it show partially the x-axis labels the graph wasn't useful to me in that form. Very frustrating. so far not impressed with 11.1 version, more problems than I've ever had and I've used SuSE since version 6.2.

  4. #4
    Graham P Davis NNTP User

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    DMCorsa wrote:

    >
    > Graham P Davis;1933096 Wrote:
    >> DMCorsa wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> > I upgraded from openSuSE11.0 to 11.1 and pulled up a spreadsheet I

    >> had
    >> > used in 11.0. In it I have a couple of data charts. In 11.0 the

    >> X-Axis
    >> > showed labels for the data points correctly. Now in 11.1, the

    >> X-Axis
    >> > labels either don't show at all, or only partially. The sheet is

    >> saved
    >> > as a .xls type sheet and under windows office the x-axis labels show
    >> > fine. I am running X86_64 versions and I use all software versions

    >> as
    >> > listed on the OpenOffice.org repository.
    >> >
    >> > I've tried recreating the chart on a new tab with the same result.

    >> Any
    >> > thoughts would be appreciated.
    >> >
    >> >

    >>
    >> I've already raised this one but haven't had a full cure. However, it
    >> was
    >> suggested to me that I try "XY (Scatter)" instead of "Line". I
    >> highlighted
    >> the data I wanted to use and then let the wizard build the graph. I
    >> didn't
    >> get what I wanted first time but a bit of experimenting to see the
    >> effect
    >> of different selections was easy enough. Worked better for me than
    >> "Line"
    >> ever had.
    >>
    >> I must admit that I still don't know how I'd get a column display to
    >> work
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy

    >
    > I tried the scatter and though it show partially the x-axis labels the
    > graph wasn't useful to me in that form. Very frustrating. so far not
    > impressed with 11.1 version, more problems than I've ever had and I've
    > used SuSE since version 6.2.
    >


    The problem isn't anything to do with 11.1 but the new version of OOo. You
    might fare better by using their newsgroup, fora or mailing-lists.

    First use of XY-scatter can probably give a problem or two but I found it
    fairly easy to manipulate. I'd been plotting temperature against time (in
    years) and had highlighted the columns with with the years, yearly
    temperatures, and running means. Instead of plotting two lines on the
    graph, I got three. It was then a matter of altering the "data ranges". In
    the "data series" tab, I removed the "years" data from the column "data
    series". That left the two curves I wanted but with "years" shown on the
    x-axis. I got better x-y plots than I ever have before with OOo, especially
    in being able to change the properties of the x- and y-axes to get the
    labelling intervals I wanted.


    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    Per your suggestion, I posed the question on the OOO forum and uploaded a sample of what was happening which they loaded on their system. It was reported back that the labels did indeed appear fine on their system. They suggested to download the "official" version from their site in place of the Novell tweaked version. I'll let you know how that works when I try it.

  6. #6

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    I am experiencing a problem with OO too. I did a fresh install of 11.1 and everything works but openoffice.

    It will not run. I don't think it is an openoffice problem. I have another hard drive that I use for experimental purposes and OO 3 works on Ubuntu and PC LinuxOS. I also had it installed on opensuse 11.0 and it worked.

  7. #7
    Graham P Davis NNTP User

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    allstar1960 wrote:

    >
    > I am experiencing a problem with OO too. I did a fresh install of 11.1
    > and everything works but openoffice.
    >
    > It will not run. I don't think it is an openoffice problem. I have
    > another hard drive that I use for experimental purposes and OO 3 works
    > on Ubuntu and PC LinuxOS. I also had it installed on opensuse 11.0 and
    > it worked.
    >
    >


    Are you using KDE or Gnome and what version?

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    Issue is solved by removing all OpenSuSE 11.1 OpenOffice packages in YaST. I downloaded the RPMS for my Linux X64 system from OpenOffice.org, extracted the tar archive and installed all .rpm packages.

    The axis labels in the charts now show normally. Hopefully, openSuSE will address in their versions of the packages.

  9. #9
    Graham P Davis NNTP User

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    DMCorsa wrote:

    >
    > Issue is solved by removing all OpenSuSE 11.1 OpenOffice packages in
    > YaST. I downloaded the RPMS for my Linux X64 system from
    > OpenOffice.org, extracted the tar archive and installed all .rpm
    > packages.
    >
    > The axis labels in the charts now show normally. Hopefully, openSuSE
    > will address in their versions of the packages.
    >
    >


    Will you be submitting a bug report for this at
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi?

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    172

    Default Re: OpenOffice 3.0.0 Under openSuSE 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Graham P Davis View Post
    DMCorsa wrote:

    >
    > Issue is solved by removing all OpenSuSE 11.1 OpenOffice packages in
    > YaST. I downloaded the RPMS for my Linux X64 system from
    > OpenOffice.org, extracted the tar archive and installed all .rpm
    > packages.
    >
    > The axis labels in the charts now show normally. Hopefully, openSuSE
    > will address in their versions of the packages.
    >
    >


    Will you be submitting a bug report for this at
    https://bugzilla.novell.com/index.cgi?

    --
    Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
    Yes, I reported it this morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •