Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opensuse on old PC

Default Opensuse on old PC

Will Opensuse 11.1 work on an PC with 256MB RAM good?
    now xp home is installed and it is very slow (about 8Min boot time.
    I would use then XFCE as desktop environment
    the pc is mainly used for internet (firefox or opera) and eventually thunderbird.
    Or has Opera a mail funktion too?
    I think the PC has an Intel Pentium PC with 1,6 GHZ.
    With XP it is not nice too work so I need another solution.
    And I won't spend money on this PC, because soon I will buy a new one.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Opensuse on old PC

It will run, but it will be a little cramped in RAM, especially if you start any memory hungry apps like Firefox. 256MB is about the minimum for a GUI. CPU speed is fine.

Is Opera better with this RAM?

I have a "test" pc that has the same specs. I am running 11.2 Alpha0 and KDE 4.2 on it. The pc works fine, at least as well as it did with XP.

The problem was, I couldn't get it to install. It has no DVD drive. It wouldn't boot from an external DVD. The Live CD install wouldn't finish, I guess because of the low ram. What I did was a net install with the mini iso. Once it was in, all was ok.

No 3D though.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

I just installed OpenSUSE 11.1 on a Compaq Armada laptop (850 mhz PIII, 316 mb RAM, and 30 gb hard drive) It's working fine so far, with the exception of my wireless adapter and it won't boot back into Windows. If I could fix the former, I might not be so worried about the latter.

Blog Entries

Yeah, try Opera or Konqueror.

Also xfce is not automatically the lowest footprint desktop. OpenSUSE has done wonders in reducing the footprint of KDE. Try KDE, you might be surprised how little it can run in these days.

+1 for installing from DVD or using the NET install CD. It will be hard to boot up with the LiveCD and then install, with that amount of RAM.

There are things you can do to reduce the RAM footprint once installed. Search these forums and the wiki for performance tips; googling opensuse + performance will also return several blog posts with some tips. When you're that tight, every little bit will help. Also, XFCE is modular, so it is possible to configure it a bit lighter. Finally, there are other window managers which are not full-blown desktop environments which have a very small footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by etpowell3 View Post
    I just installed OpenSUSE 11.1 on a Compaq Armada laptop (850 mhz PIII, 316 mb RAM, and 30 gb hard drive) It's working fine so far, with the exception of my wireless adapter and it won't boot back into Windows. If I could fix the former, I might not be so worried about the latter.
    You probably can fix the former by going to swerdna's page.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

Default Installation

From which medium shoud I install
    you say not from cd
    is it from dvd better?
    can i as newbie do a net install or is that too difficult

Default Re: Installation

The net install is easy - download and burn the net image and then install. The installation downloads all the necessary files from the opensuse repo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast