Thread: problem booting with new motherboard

rogermiller NNTP User

Default problem booting with new motherboard

This is a cross-post from the hardware forum. Not sure if this is better addressed as a hardware problem or a booting problem.

I bought an ASUS M3A78-T motherboard and equipped it with an AMD Phenom 9850 to run with my existing opensuse 11.0 installation. The bios reports two PATA hard drivers and gives correct information for both. The bios boots, finds GRUB and loads the kernel, but the kernel reports something to the effect that /dev/sda1 is not found. It then gives me the option of falling back to /dev/sda2, which it then also fails to find, then it falls into a very bare single user mode.

I just spent a couple hours looking for similar problem reports and found nothing. I assume this is a driver problem. The motherboard uses the AMD 790GX/SB750 chipsets. The DVD that comes with the board apparently contains linux drivers, but I haven't found a clue about how to get them installed and working.

What next?

Blog Entries

Default Re: problem booting with new motherboard

Boot with the install DVD and run the repair system. You need to rebuild the initrd so that the appropriate disk controller drivers are on it.