empty files in / directory

i am prsently using 11.0 with kde and xfce environments.a couple of days ago i saw 2 files list-c,list-l in the / directory.i deleted them and after a restart they are back.why is it so??

also what sould i do to enable auto refresh in thunar folder browser??

> i am prsently using 11.0 with kde and xfce environments.a couple of days
> ago i saw 2 files list-c,list-l in the / directory.i deleted them and
> after a restart they are back.why is it so??

Unless you enjoy breaking your system it is generally not a good idea
to delete files outside of your home directory unless you completely
understand the consequences…

on the other hand, i’ve never seen files in the root directory and
would freakout if i did…

have you installed and run chkrootkit?

no i have not used chkrootkit before.can you explain about in a little detail or point me where i can find about it.

chkrootkit is a rootkit hunter which scans your system for malicious rootkits/files. It’s basically a shell script and is available for the Packman repo. I would recommend getting rkhunter instead as it does a more thorough job than chkrootkit Rootkit Hunter

thanks a lot.i will look into it and reply back

> point me where i can find about it.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=chkrootkit

> (http://www.rootkit.nl/projects/rootkit_hunter.html)

kewl, thanks for that tip!!

Hi
The other one is nessus, the 10 and 10.3 rpms work fine.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
up 2:57, 2 users, load average: 0.67, 0.93, 0.71
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.22

I don’t think you guys are on the right track.
I bet he’s using an ATI graphics adapter, and the issue arises from a bug in the fglrx package. To be more precise, the /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh script contains a number of calls to xauth without doing sufficient argument checks first.
How do I know? I just filed a bug with ATI (Bug 1517 - authatieventsd.sh creates files ‘list-c’, ‘list-l’ in the root directory). Check out the bug description for a (rudimentary) patch.

> I don’t think you guys are on the right track.

since he has not been here (in this thread) since January i guess it
makes no difference anymore…

Andy Sipowicz

No surprises there, the ATI-installer has always been utter crap, especially this “atieventsd”-stuff, which for example installs an init-script in /etc/init.d/ and links it to runlevels 3 and 5 but is not able to remove them on uninstall for more than 3 years now.

But to be fair, the nvidia-installer is not much better.

j.engelh’s site

(See section “Sanity”, I can confirm this as it gave me major headaches trying tp build an rpm from that crap.)

sorry guys…i was out of station and was a little busy and so was not able to reply.
the problem is with ATI graphics driver whic i figured out after a reinstall on OS. (an update messed with the shutdown/reboot options)
thanks for the support and i will try to reply as soon as i can