Thread: Best VoIP application

Default Best VoIP application

I'm currently using Ekiga but was wondering if you know of any better SIP telephone app which by features could be comparable to Skype? Ekiga just does the job and does it well but is limited in features.

I can only think of Qutecom, but it's so fresh and buggy and its sound quality is just beyond awful.

Has anyone managed to configure KCall? I wanted to give it a try but can't figure out how to set it up. It uses some Decibel, but is there a GUI or something to configure it?
    Desktop: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel i-7500 | Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING | Asus EX-GTX1050TI-O4G nVidia
    Laptop Asus UL30A: openSUSE Leap 15 | KDE 5 | Intel SU7300

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best VoIP application

VoIP is far more than just an application. I use VoIP all the time but don't have any software in use at all. I use a VoIP service like skype (voipcheap) and just use a regular telephone which is plugged in to a SIP gateway.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Well what you are using then is a hardware/software implementation of a VoIP client, that's what your gateway is doing, I assume it's either a VoIP capable broadband modem, or a VoIP handset that goes to a SIP server.

So, repeating the OP's question, because I want to know too as I'm getting an ISP that offers VoIP service, what do people recommend for a SIP softphone client on Linux? I see ekiga, kphone, kcall and twinkle (which seems to have collected a lot of links to it on Google) are on the list here:

List of SIP software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm looking for people's experiences with any Linux SIP clients. I will only use it lightly if at all, but I would like it to be robust and not too complicated to set up.

Blog Entries

I use a netgear router DG834 not a voip router. I use a SIP gateway device plugged in to the router. A regular phone plugs into the gateway.
    I use voipcheap dot com for voip calls.
    It makes no odds who your ISP is, I take this gateway all over the world. So long as I can plug it in to a router. Or I can use a web based interface in a laptop with headset via my voip account.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Blog Entries

It's a firmware VoIP device then. A VoIP router just has it integrated. All it does is handle the SIP negotiation and convert the audio to and from the handset. I'm looking for experiences with a softphone SIP client which does the same thing in software but uses the existing audio devices on the computer. I would use a USB handset which appears as a USB audio device, which works fine with Skype. Some people prefer to use a headset for hands-free operation.

While VoIP certainly allows you to use any provider, generally it's better if you can use your ISP's VoIP offering from home, because an external VoIP provider will mean that your IP packets travel that much further before entering the PSTN. But sometimes people choose the VoIP provider on the basis of price.

Blog Entries

You summarize this nicely @ken_yap
    Yes. For me price is the key. The quality of service I get is average and certainly the fact that I'm using the US service from the UK means my local UK calls are routed about as far as they can be
    But overall I'm happy. I called some family at our home in Fl. yesterday and the quality was sucky, but mostly it's much better than this and hard to discern it's voip at all.

But for me the US plan is better value than the .co.uk version. I was talking to Keith (one of our forum Admin) recently on his skypeline and cell, all free to me. I know people on skype (Keith included) and I cannot see any measure of improvement over my voip service.

It's complicated isn't it really. I mean we all have varying circumstances and live in different locations, so are needs are going to be different.
    Leap 15.1_KDE

Blog Entries

Well you see I hardly ever make any landline calls; I haven't had a landline for many years, a prepaid mobile account works out cheaper for me. But perhaps once a couple of months I need to call a landline number and talk more than a few minutes (tradesmen, etc). My ISP offers VoIP charged per call, 30 minutes for $0.15. There are no costs to sign up. So I don't want to go buy a firmware device or a VoIP enhanced router (though the ISP sells these to people who want to use VoIP heavily). I just need what is called a softphone which handles SIP. Ekiga, kphone, twinkle, etc are all examples of softphones.