Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

  1. #1

    Default openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    When I click to install the updates (and enter the password) it says, "updating..." for a few seconds and then the dark red triangle comes back and it says there's new software available, and it's the same things as before (and it never installs them). Any idea what this could be?

    Using:
    Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    openSUSE 11.0
    4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 63.3

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,719
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Have you tried doing it with

    zypper ref
    zypper up

    or from Yast - Software Management?
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    When I click to install the updates (and enter the password) it says, "updating..." for a few seconds and then the dark red triangle comes back and it says there's new software available, and it's the same things as before (and it never installs them). Any idea what this could be?

    Using:
    Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-default
    openSUSE 11.0
    4.1.3 (KDE 4.1.3) "release 63.3
    This is caused by unresolved dependencies. Use every time the Software-Management module for updating - as caf4926 suggested - to avoid these problems.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  4. #4

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by caf4926 View Post
    Have you tried doing it with

    zypper ref
    zypper up

    or from Yast - Software Management?
    So should i disable the updater?

    Also, in Yast - Software management what steps do I take?

    UPDATE: I used the zypper commands and got:

    Problem: alsa-driver-kmp-default-1.0.16.20081010_2.6.25.5_1.1-2.1.i586 requires kernel(default:sound_i2c_other) = 46aadxdff3ca686f, but this requirement cannot be provided
    uninstallable providers: kernel-default-2.6.25.5-1.1.i586[openSUSE-11.0-Oss]
    kernel-default-2.6.25.9-0.2.i586[openSUSE-11.0-Updates]
    kernel-default-2.6.25.11-0.1.i586[openSUSE-11.0-Updates]
    kernel-default-2.6.25.16-0.1.i586[openSUSE-11.0-Updates]
    Solution 1: deinstallation of alsa-driver-kmp-default-1.0.16.20081010_2.6.25.5_1.1-2.1.i586
    Solution 2: do not install patch:kernel-423.noarch
    Solution 3: Ignore some dependencies of alsa-driver-kmp-default
    What should I do?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    365

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Also, in Yast - Software management what steps do I take?
    In the menubar at the top, Package --> All Packages --> Update if newer version available

  6. #6

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    So should i disable the updater?
    No, once you've got the dependency issues resolved, the updater should work fine.

    You might like to disable extra repositories, used for installing extra applications, if you're happy with the versions you have. Sometimes they make updates which conflict with each other.

    Best treat the updater, as a neat way of getting security updates, and the odd application update, rather than rely on it for all updates.

  7. #7

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by robopensuse View Post
    No, once you've got the dependency issues resolved, the updater should work fine.

    You might like to disable extra repositories, used for installing extra applications, if you're happy with the versions you have. Sometimes they make updates which conflict with each other.

    Best treat the updater, as a neat way of getting security updates, and the odd application update, rather than rely on it for all updates.
    Can you recommend which repos I should have?

    I currently have:

    Repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Oss'
    Repository 'Main Repository (NON-OSS)'
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Non-Oss'
    Repository 'OpenSUSE KDE4 Extra'
    Repository 'OpenSUSE KDE4'
    Repository 'openSUSE-11.0-Updates'
    Repository 'OpenSUSE KDE QT'
    Repository 'OpenSUSE KDE4 Community'
    Which ones should I remove?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Can you recommend which repos I should have?

    I currently have:



    Which ones should I remove?
    You aren't using KDE4.2 beta, so you can remove the Qt repository.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

  9. #9

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by ram88 View Post
    You aren't using KDE4.2 beta, so you can remove the Qt repository.
    Thanks. i did that but I'm still getting the issue. The updater still won't install.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    relative
    Posts
    1,172

    Default Re: openSUSE updater won't install updates!

    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Thanks. i did that but I'm still getting the issue. The updater still won't install.
    I've suggested which repositories to remove. Your updater problem has been answered before: openSUSE updater won't install updates! - openSUSE Forums by freedguy.
    http://mydailyhash.wordpress.com/
    http://yami.googlecode.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •