Thread: Can't navigate in nautilus as root

Default Can't navigate in nautilus as root

Hi. I'm trying to enter as root to /usr/local/bin but I get this error:

psyfurius@linux-jdsx:~> su
    Password: ***
    linux-jdsx:/home/psyfurius # nautilus

(nautilus:7641): Eel-WARNING **: Error of GConf: it Failed when contacting with the servidor of configurations; some of the possible causes are that it need to enable TCP/IP in ORBit, or that has blockades of NFS of a fall of system. It see http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/(Details - 1: it Failed when obtaining the connection with the session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Can't navigate in nautilus as root

Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caf4926
    'Eel-WARNING - Google Search' (http://tinyurl.com/8rzrx8)
    Hi
    If you use su - or xdg-su you will get the warnings but it won't die on
    you....

--
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-9-default
    up 3 days 15:58, 2 users, load average: 0.24, 0.25, 0.18
    GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 180.22

Default nautilus

I have read some of the posts but I am not convinced this is my problem.

When I try to go to the console and open nautilus as root (su etc) I get an error message and although nautilus opens, I can't change any of the files.

I have to log in as root to do this. That is a pain. I even did a fresh install and I still have the problem.

Iam running 1md 3700+ with 128 mb nvidia gf4 card, 2gb memory. This is opensuse 11.1 64-bit

here is the error:

(nautilus:25921): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
    Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

GConf warning: failure listing pairs in `/apps/nautilus/preferences': Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See GConf configuration system for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)

Try Alt+F2 then enter gnomesu nautilus

/Geoff
    Core 2 Duo 3.16GHz, 8GB DDR2, 3.5TB, GeForce 9600 GT, Amilo LCD 26", OS 11.1 x86_64, KDE4.2.4 (2)
    My wine tips & tricks

Question Re: Can't navigate in nautilus as root

Quote Originally Posted by geoffro View Post
    Try Alt+F2 then enter gnomesu nautilus

/Geoff
    Well, that solve the problem, but this error is no only with nautilus.
    I get this error for everything I try to run as su.

What this error is about? It's a bug or it's a problem in my computer?