Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

  1. #1

    Default Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    I have installed samba in SuSe 11.1 on my laptop.
    On my PC- Windows vista and another PC- Windows XP.
    when I try in Konqueror run such command:
    smb://192.168.3.10(ip of one of the PCs) - i see all PS-s shares - (films,music etc) but when i try to open shares- the next message appears :
    The process for the smb://192.168.3.10 protocol died unexpectedly.

    In previos version of SuSe i didn't have such problem.

    Can someone help)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    I don't use samba as I connect nix to nix

    But I have a feeling there is an issue, search the forum for samba.

    Think you might have to set the firewall manually.
    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    Possibly you just have to give it a bit of time. E.g. have a look at this thread:
    smb protocol unexpectedly stopped - openSUSE Forums

    And see if turning the firewall off makes a difference.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

  4. #4

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    mkather wrote:
    > Hi, I have exactly the same problem. There is a new Samba version in
    > SuSE 11, it's just not fully tested, alpa-version at most. Forget about
    > it and go back to SuSE 10.2


    Stop this nonsense. 10.2 has reached end of life.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Inzago, Italy
    Posts
    108

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by mkather View Post
    Hi, I have exactly the same problem. There is a new Samba version in SuSE 11, it's just not fully tested, alpa-version at most. Forget about it and go back to SuSE 10.2
    I'm using OpenSuse 11.1 with samba-3.2.6-0.3.1 sharing files and printing from and to Windows XP. All working perfectly. Maybe you need a bit of patience in setting things.
    OpenSuse 13.1 with KDE 4.11 on Intel I7 930 motherboard Asus P6T SE - RAM 6 Gb
    - video card NVIDIA GT220 1GB - TV card Hauppauge WinTV Nova T stick

  6. #6
    Robert Carlson NNTP User

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    meryfelow wrote:
    > I have installed samba in SuSe 11.1 on my laptop.
    > On my PC- Windows vista and another PC- Windows XP.
    > when I try in Konqueror run such command:
    > smb://192.168.3.10(ip of one of the PCs) - i see all PS-s shares -
    > (films,music etc) but when i try to open shares- the next message
    > appears :
    > The process for the smb://192.168.3.10 protocol died unexpectedly.
    >
    > In previos version of SuSe i didn't have such problem.
    >
    > Can someone help)
    >
    >

    I used Samba under 10.2 and now under 11.1. Under 10.2, I don't
    remember having to use smbpasswd -a passwordonwinPC in order to access
    the shares on the Linux box from Windows. Before I did that, I would
    get an error, although I am not certain it is the error that you mention.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    11,727
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Problem with samba in SuSe 11.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Carlson View Post
    I used Samba under 10.2 and now under 11.1. Under 10.2, I don't
    remember having to use smbpasswd -a passwordonwinPC in order to access
    the shares on the Linux box from Windows. Before I did that, I would
    get an error, although I am not certain it is the error that you mention.
    What you experience/d in one Samba situation should not be anticipated to be the norm because Linux Samba servers can be set up in many different ways.
    Leap 42.3 & 15.1(Beta) &KDE
    FYIs from the days of yore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •