Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    322

    Angry Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    The cups installed on Suse 11.1 does not include my printer.

    I have purchased [about 3 years ago]
    /Turboprint/turboprint.tpkey
    /Turboprint/turboprint-1.91-2.i386.rpm
    /Turboprint/ReadMe-Keyfile

    for use on my other machine which uses 10.2
    The printer works fine using this Turboprint.

    Can I install it on 11.1 and any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Emachine e510 m360,Celeron 2.13GHz,Mobile Intel GL960,int.Graphics X3100,Vista & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5.
    PC running Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS,
    PC running XP & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS

  2. #2

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    yes; if you are just updating the system on your computer, you keep the core files of turboprint, on say a USB stick, and copy them over, install, and they should work well ...

    ...... though .........

    they did upgrade turboprint to version 2 from the version 1 series, with various enhancements; check your version number;since you are registered with them, you can download the latest version;

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    Quote Originally Posted by pdc_2 View Post
    yes; if you are just updating the system on your computer, you keep the core files of turboprint, on say a USB stick, and copy them over, install, and they should work well ...

    ...... though .........

    they did upgrade turboprint to version 2 from the version 1 series, with various enhancements; check your version number;since you are registered with them, you can download the latest version;
    Hi

    Thanks for reply.

    I have version 1 and it is a new installation on the computer below. I do see that they have version 2 but it seems expensive to keep buying this to get my printer working?

    Thanks
    Emachine e510 m360,Celeron 2.13GHz,Mobile Intel GL960,int.Graphics X3100,Vista & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5.
    PC running Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS,
    PC running XP & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    322

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    Quote Originally Posted by signetone View Post
    Hi

    Thanks for reply.

    I have version 1 and it is a new installation on the computer below. I do see that they have version 2 but it seems expensive to keep buying this to get my printer working?

    Thanks
    The update for version 2 for 2 computers is 40.

    Surely there must be a way round this - thats more than the price of the printers!
    Emachine e510 m360,Celeron 2.13GHz,Mobile Intel GL960,int.Graphics X3100,Vista & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5.
    PC running Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS,
    PC running XP & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS

  5. #5
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    On Wed January 21 2009 11:36 am, signetone wrote:

    >
    > signetone;1931385 Wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Thanks for reply.
    >>
    >> I have version 1 and it is a new installation on the computer below. I
    >> do see that they have version 2 but it seems expensive to keep buying
    >> this to get my printer working?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >
    > The update for version 2 for 2 computers is £40.
    >
    > Surely there must be a way round this - thats more than the price of
    > the printers!
    >
    >

    signetone;

    Have you checked the Canon Web site for Linux drivers? Openprinting.org,
    http://openprinting.org/show_printer...n-PIXMA_iP2200
    seems to imply they exist.
    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

  6. #6

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    I see Canon Asia make drivers available for your ip2200 now;

    go to this website

    Canon

    and you need to download

    1) the common driver as an rpm file, and install it first (MOST IMPORTANT);

    2) download the specific ip2200 driver as rpm file and install

    3) open YaST and hopefully the driver is now available there, and you can configure; if not, you will need to open CUPS but get back to us on that one;

    if you need advice on installing rpm files, again, get back to the forum

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    322

    Angry Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    Quote Originally Posted by pdc_2 View Post
    I see Canon Asia make drivers available for your ip2200 now;

    go to this website

    Canon

    and you need to download

    1) the common driver as an rpm file, and install it first (MOST IMPORTANT);

    2) download the specific ip2200 driver as rpm file and install

    3) open YaST and hopefully the driver is now available there, and you can configure; if not, you will need to open CUPS but get back to us on that one;

    if you need advice on installing rpm files, again, get back to the forum
    Hi

    Thanks very much

    Did 1, 2 and 3 using Kpackage.

    The driver does now appear in YAST but in hardware printers it shows as printout disabled?
    An icon appeared on desktop, like the queue.

    I printed off a document but the printer shows but has a small red X over it?

    Ant ideas?

    Thanks
    Emachine e510 m360,Celeron 2.13GHz,Mobile Intel GL960,int.Graphics X3100,Vista & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5.
    PC running Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS,
    PC running XP & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS

  8. #8
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    On Thu January 22 2009 03:36 am, signetone wrote:

    >
    > pdc_2;1931746 Wrote:
    >> I see Canon Asia make drivers available for your ip2200 now;
    >>
    >> go to this website
    >>
    >> 'Canon' (http://tinyurl.com/byx7w5)
    >>
    >> and you need to download
    >>
    >> 1) the common driver as an rpm file, and install it first (*MOST
    >> IMPORTANT*);
    >>
    >> 2) download the specific ip2200 driver as rpm file and install
    >>
    >> 3) open YaST and hopefully the driver is now available there, and you
    >> can configure; if not, you will need to open CUPS but get back to us on
    >> that one;
    >>
    >> if you need advice on installing rpm files, again, get back to the
    >> forum

    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks very much
    >
    > Did 1, 2 and 3 using Kpackage.
    >
    > The driver does now appear in YAST but in hardware printers it shows as
    > printout disabled?
    > An icon appeared on desktop, like the queue.
    >
    > I printed off a document but the printer shows but has a small red X
    > over it?
    >
    > Ant ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    >

    Try to configure directly in CUPS. You will find CUPS here:
    http://localhost:631/

    When asked for username/password use root and root's password.
    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    West Wales
    Posts
    322

    Angry Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    Hi

    Yes done that.

    I opened the printer. It will mot print but the item is in the queue and the printer looks available but does not print.

    I tried to print the test page from CUPS and the following;-

    canonip2200 "Unable to start filter "pstocanonij" - No such file or directory."

    Description: Canon iP2200 Ver.2.60
    Location:
    Printer Driver: Canon iP2200 Ver.2.60
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
    Device URI: usb://Canon/iP2200

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

    the printer does work on my old laptop, usuing 10.2 and turboprint but as i said that is now 40 the price of a printer.

    I did but a couple of these printers as they were good and selling for less than the cost of the ink refills?
    Emachine e510 m360,Celeron 2.13GHz,Mobile Intel GL960,int.Graphics X3100,Vista & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5.
    PC running Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS,
    PC running XP & Suse 11.1, KDE3.5 with Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz,nVidia 7600GS

  10. #10
    PV NNTP User

    Default Re: Installing Printer Canon ip2200

    On Thu January 22 2009 12:16 pm, signetone wrote:

    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Yes done that.
    >
    > I opened the printer. It will mot print but the item is in the queue
    > and the printer looks available but does not print.
    >
    > I tried to print the test page from CUPS and the following;-
    >
    > canonip2200 "Unable to start filter "pstocanonij" - No such file or
    > directory."
    >
    > Description: Canon iP2200 Ver.2.60
    > Location:
    > Printer Driver: Canon iP2200 Ver.2.60
    > Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.
    > Device URI: usb://Canon/iP2200
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    <snip>
    signetone;
    Try this:
    Look in /user/lib/cups/filter to see if pstocanonij exists there. If so try
    adding a link to it in /user/lib64/cups/filter.

    --
    P. V.
    "We're all in this together, I'm pulling for you." Red Green

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •