Thread: Static mount point for CDs and DVDs

Default Static mount point for CDs and DVDs

I followed the instructions given in the wiki for creating the XML fdi, but they don't seem to work for 11.1 release.

Does anyone know how I go about setting 11.1 HAL to mount /dev/sr0 to a static mount in /media?

Any help is appreciated!

Default Re: Static mount point for CDs and DVDs

I have still been looking for an answer to this issue, but I didn't get a response on the opensuse mailing list, either. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks!

It is already linked to /dev/sr0 and will be mounted automatically when you insert a CD/DVD. You don't have to do anything unless you have two CD/DVD devices.

Quote Originally Posted by john_hudson View Post
    It is already linked to /dev/sr0 and will be mounted automatically when you insert a CD/DVD. You don't have to do anything unless you have two CD/DVD devices.
    OK but I do have two CD devices and am having real difficulty so how do I tie them down please?
    Budgie2

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie2 View Post
    OK but I do have two CD devices and am having real difficulty so how do I tie them down please?
    Budgie2
    If I did not misunderstood you for the two cd devices it should be /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1.
    There are two cd/dvd devices in my daughter's pc and that's how are they being read by suse.
    People who do not break things first will never learn to create anything

Quote Originally Posted by conram View Post
    If I did not misunderstood you for the two cd devices it should be /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1.
    There are two cd/dvd devices in my daughter's pc and that's how are they being read by suse.
    OK and similarly on my platform with two real SCSI CD drives, but when trying to rip to mp3 I am having real problems. Preferred ripper is Kaudiocreator encoding with lame. It is seriously confused when presented with two drives. The symlinks also seem to be dynamic which does not help. I more or less had this sorted on Suse 10.0 when CD devices were in fstab and I could fix them there but that is no longer the case.

If you have a machine with Opensuse 11.1 & are willing to try ripping with kaudiocreator I would be very interested in the result.

Regards,
    Budgie2

I am interested in achieving the same effect. I would like to 'tie' one of my USB external HDD's to a static mount point.

At the moment when I plug it in it is sometimes:
    /media/disk, sometimes /media/disk-1 and other times /media/disk-2

Is what I want to do possible?
    Simple?

Appreciate hints or tips.

Mark

Blog Entries

Strange. I have an external USB HD and although it is always mounted in /media
    It is always mounted by it's volume name: ELEMENTS
    so it's always /media/ELEMENTS

And Dolphin automatically add's it in Places

In my Fedora Gnome it is always on the Desktop and in Nautilus 'Places'

So what is the problem. No static mount point is required. I suggest you give the device a Volume Label/Name when you format it. See if that makes things better.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

The problem from my point of view is that in 11.0 when I put a disk into the drive it would mount and show up immediately in Krusader. In 11.1 it shows up in the "Last plugged in device" panel but not in any file manager. Clicking on it used to mount it in Dolphin and then it was visible in Krusader. I changed the setting to open it directly in Krusader but that does not work.

Worse, if it is a music cd, it wants to open it in Kaffeine and even if I click yes, whilst it opens and plays in Kaffeine, it still does not show up in any file manager.

Blog Entries

Put a cd in the tray
    Open dolphin and enter this in the address/location bar
    Code:
    audiocd:/
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below