Which Virtualization to choose?

Well, the topics question might sound odd, but I just can´t decide.

As far as I´ve heard, XEN (which naturally comes with the newest release of OpenSuse) is condidered to be good - but it´s meant for server virtualization. It does not fully support Nvidia drivers also. So what would be my best bet to, lets say, emulate Windows 7 and maybe another System? Vmware Workstation? Keep in mind that I want to integrate the machine as much as possible (speed, full USB support, wifi, etc.).

I´d be glad to hear some good suggestions and why YOU would choose the software you told me. :wink:

Mask.

I don’t know of any virtualisation software that would ‘support’ your nvidia drivers, I guess because a virtual OS is using virtual hardware

Usb devices aside of course

I’ve used both vmware and virtualbox quite a lot and neither of them would use your graphics card’s native drivers, at least I’ve never seen either work in that way, couldn’t even say for sure whether it’s possible

As for wireless, if you’re planning on using a usb wireless adapter and have the usb support functioning properly I should imagine that would work whatever virtualisation solution you choose

Can’t say I’ve ever tried it though as I don’t really see any point. The virtual network adapters have always worked fine for me … unless you were wanting to check whether a wireless device would actually work with a particular OS

Nope. I just want to use my internal wireless card.

As for the driver thingy: Installation of proprietary NVIDIA drivers is possible (you are booting into a separate XEN-kernel). But this somehow messed up my
mouse function and it ended up that I couldn´t run my VM anymore.

So I think about switching. Is there actually a list somewhere comparing the different speed of Virtualization software?

-TM-

You were talking about not using Xen which you said doesn’t support your drivers anyway, although that could just be related to how you installed/configured your driver

I’ve never used Xen myself so I can’t really tell you much about driver issues with it

In vmware or virtualbox which are the only two Ive used myself, your internal wireless card wouldn’t be an issue provided the wireless was working correctly in your host os, which I’m assuming they are. Your guest os should just connect with the network settings left on dhcp, again, with Xen I’m not sure about this

In both vmware and virtualbox once your guest os is installed and booted you then install what they call ‘guest additions’, once these are installed your graphics shoud work fine, no need for nvidia drivers

As for a list comparing speed, google is your friend :wink:

Bear in mind though that almost every company will claim theirs is the best

Hi, I personally use VirtualBox on suse 11.1 and run Win Xp as guest system without any graphic issues. Its easy to install it and has a nice gui to configure your guest machines, so I give a vote for it :slight_smile:

I am using VMware workstation. No problems, smooth boot and a whole new great experience. :slight_smile:

Thanks for helping out guys! --Thread may be closed–

TheMask***