Please Help:Unalbe to access windows partitons from Suse11.1

Hi,

I have successfully installed Suse 11.1 on my machine. I have installed it alongside windows, and the Dual boot also is working fine.

Once i logged into Suse, I could see my computer on the desktop, and when i click on the icon, it shows my system configuration, memory an stuff...., along with all this it also shows the windows Ntfs Partition Labels. When i click a partition it nothing happens, the contents are not shown... When i tried opening it through the file manager, it shows some error.

I have three HDD drives, first one is a 160 GB SATA, second an 80 GB SATA, and third is an OLD PATA 40 GB.

Aftr the second reboot the system is directy booting into windows. I am unable to login to Suse.

Please help me :’(.

Thanks in advance,
Biju

Hi bijubiju007, first post here – welcome to the forums.

Sounds like two problems – one is the NTFS thing, the other is the booting thing.

To get back into openSUSe you need to reinstall the Grub bootloader. That’s a 2 step process. First you use the repair facility to install a minimal Grub which can get you back into openSUSE. Then you use Yast’s bootloader module to make that minimal Grub installation into a comprehensive Grub installation. The full details are here:
GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.

regarding NTFS, looks like you didn’t link them up properly. When you get the booting to openSUSE smooth again, open a console and enter su to get rootly powers and then these two commands one at a time:

1. cat /etc/fstab
  2. fdisk -l

use copy/paste to return the sessions here. In the meantime this background reading should help:
HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE 10, 11