How to choose programs in Thunderbird

Does anybody know how to tell Thunderbird which program to use to open certain types of attachments? For instance, when I click to open a picture attached to an email, it is opened in GIMP, (which takes forever). If I click to open a picture anywhere else (like Konqueror), it opens in Gwenview (which is very fast). I’d like to get Thunderbird to use Gwenview to open picture attachments, smplayer for video files, acroread for .pdf, etc. but all these open in random programs apparently chosen by Thunderbird.

Thank you

Right-click the attachment and click Open With

If what it already wants to open in isn’t the program you wish to use, click the drop-down arrow and click Other

Browse to the program you wish to use (you will need to know it’s path)

Once your desired app is showing as the program it’s going to open with, tick the box that says: Do this automatically for files like this from now on

Click Ok

If you don’t know the path to the app you can find it like this:

Open a console, type whereis appname

Example:

whereis gwenview
gwenview: /opt/kde3/bin/gwenview /usr/share/man/man1/gwenview.1.gz

You know it isn’t going to a .gz file, so obviously gwenview’s path is the /opt/kde3/bin/gwenview result

That’s the path you’d browse to in order to set gwenview as the default app for opening whathever filetype the attachment is

Should have known it would be something simple. I didn’t know about the whereis command. I’ll try it out when I get home tonight.

Thanks for your help.