Thread: Yast will not open as normal user?

Default Yast will not open as normal user?

I've been running OS 11.1 for about 2 weeks, clean install w/KDE4. Yast would run fine from the menu then just today when you click on Yast nothing happens. If I open a terminal and "su -" then run yast it works fine. How can I fix yast from the menu.

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Yast will not open as normal user?

Use edit menu to check the settings in there for the launch command.
    Leap 15_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

The "Command" is /sbin/yast2. /var/log/messages has no errors related to yast2 when I try to start it. Is there somewhere else to look?

This is something you could try

Where you looked at the launch command, there is a 'Run as user' box, try enabling that and setting the user to run as to root

Same thing. Something interesting I tried may shed light how to fix. From terminal as normal user issue command /sbin/yast2 opens fine with limited functionality as expected since we did not switch user to root. If I "su -" from terminal, run yast2 it run fine. However, as normal user from terminal if I issue "sudo /sbin/yast2" I get the following error: No protocol specified y2controlcenter: cannot connect to X server :0. ???

Is the user added to sudo?

Another one to try besides sudo, assuming you're using kde is:

kdesu yast2

Fixed. Have no idea why but from the properties of the icon, click the "application" tab then "advanced options" then un-check "place in system tray". Now works. Do you know what "Place in system tray" means? On OS 11 I ran KDE3 and on OS11.1 I'm trying to get use to KDE4. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I would imagine it means put the application in the system tray

I don't really know much about kde4, I've hardly used it because as yet I'm not all that keen on it, but you have it working now and that's what counts