As a Linux developer I'm loathe to use Windows, but as a musician I've finally decided to give in. I have various devices that have special non file type USB drivers for Windows as well as music production software now. I tried VirtualBox which was easy to set up but the USB functionality is not 100%. So I thought I'd try vmware server. I read opensuse howtos and Install VMware server 2 in Suse / openSUSE 11 & USB support. I've done everything carefully. I downloaded the latest RPM from vmware and followed the install which completes only failing to build vsock which it says is not critical. Starting with /etc/init.d/vmware start gives me this.
Code:
Starting VMware services:                       
   Virtual machine monitor                                            failed
   Virtual machine communication interface                             done 
   Virtual ethernet                                                   failed
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                   done
That is disturbing by maybe those failures are due to not being set up. Using Firefox as advised and myself as the user it continually rejects me. Isn't there a way to circumvent this from localhost? BTW it fails to show for localhost but only 127.0.0.1. Possibly there is some issue with needing the virtual internet working to configure. Shutting down gives me this.
Code:
Stopping VMware autostart virtual machines:
   Virtual machines                                                   failed
Stopping VMware management services:
   VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access
   VMware Server Host Agent                                           failed
Stopping VMware services:
   VMware Authentication Daemon                                        done
   Virtual machine communication interface                             done
   Virtual machine monitor                                             done
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                                   done
   Host network detection                                              done
   Virtual ethernet                                                   failed
Seemingly some of these might be expected as it's not configured but vmnet-bridge and vmware-hostd have to be manually killed if I want to try configuring again. I've combed all the posts I could search and confirmed I've done everything relevant for opensuse 11.1.

I'm running an AMD Phenom Quad 2500 64 bit with 8GB RAM. I even made out with the devil and bought Vista 64 bit to try as well as my copy of XP. I'm now going to install Vista to dual boot on another drive and rely on opensuse to boot manage it. I've read it may be possible to use either a VirtualBox image or a phisical install with vmware server. It seemed pointless to install XP 32 bit on this machine. I am running databases for my business and doing Linux software development so I'd like to not have to dual boot to run my studio. TIA