Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Display problems in FireFox while using zoom

Default Re: Display problems in FireFox while using zoom

I have exactly the same problem. It also affects opera browser.

MilosGrozni NNTP User

Me too, when I use firefox windows, I zoom (ctrl +) and everything become larger and clear (images too).But in suse 1.11 images quality decreases whit zoom (also in firefox)!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the only explanation from community that I got is "just deal with it!" "Linux is still better"

All I know that on the same PC in Vista Ctrl + works and images increase and look nice no matter how many times an click Ctrl ++ ( obviously it's zooms in too much image quality degrades a bit), but in openSUSE 11 or 11.1 image quality degrades after first Ctrl +. It is hard to see.

Please don't tell me it is ok!!! It is NOT! If there is an issue with openSUSE it needs to be addressed.

I'm still looking for a solution. I would like to use openSUSE, but just can't do it without resolving this issue.

Help! Anyone?

Did you install your graphic card drivers? And what graphic cards are you using?

I could be telling a whole bunch of nonsense here and I got no source to back it up... but maybe (again I got nothing to back this up) a simpler scaling algorithm is used when you don't install your videocard drivers resulting in poor image quality.

If you provide some source image accesseable to use both we could see if the zooming results vary as I don't think I'm experiencing worse scaling myself under linux.. but I rarely use the feature. (and when you post a screenshot of the image yourself make sure to save it as png, as jpeg is not suited for comparing image quality)
    Special effects <- KDE 4.2 Showing off
    More KDE -> PINK KDE

I provided that info in the first post:

>>>>>It is a dual-boot PC with Vista and openSUSE 11/1. I have Nvidia Video Card GeForce 7900GS with Nvidia Linux driver.

png or jpg format is not an issue here. I already posted all the pictures. It is obvious when you compare them. The issue is still there.

Anyone could share picture quality in openSUSE 11.1 with
    1 Ctrl ++
    2 Ctrl ++
    3 Ctrl ++
    4 Ctrl ++
    5 Ctrl ++

I tested on 4 different PCs inclusing beta SLES 11. Result is the same: in Firefox 3.0.5 or .6 after zooming using Ctrl ++ quality of images degrading and after awhile it is painful to watch.

Anyone, anyone on openSUSE side could provide answer to this problem? Axeia please no more nonsense!

ozhdan NNTP User

I added a bug at bugzilla.novell.com

https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=473623

Please add any other comments on that page and Vote to increase visibility of this bug.

soundznice NNTP User

I have the same problem too and find it very annoying - i've browse to find a fix but the only way to make it a bit better is to use the firefox extension called No Squint

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2592

this is a weird problem - it's only in firefox,the problem doesn't occur in Konqueror

if there is a real fix please let me know

(using nvidia 172 drivers / tried with 180 new version > same problem - geforce 7300 gt)

laskagifts you are absolutely right i have exactly the same problem with you in openSUSE 11.2 dual boot with Win7 on an AthlonXP with NVIDIA Gf6200 neither the driver upgrade gave a resolution on that problem. I assume it might be a firefox 3.5.8 problem or at least openSUSE's Firefox customization. I'm strugling to avoid uninstall and reinstall a fresh download of Firefox. On my previous Linux version (GUbuntu 8.04 LTS) did not met any such problems even with older Firefox's versions

I think that a good bypass on that problem could considered the option of Zoom Text Only in firefox menu bar. Go to (View>Zoom>Zoom Text Only [] check the box)

I am using openSUSE 11.2 64-bit and in Firefox (version 3.5.8) image zooming is a very real problem! Ubuntu 9.10 Firefox had the same problem but was easily fixable with this: https://launchpad.net/~firefox-smoot...g/+archive/ppa

Why doesn't openSUSE 11.2 have a fix for this issue also???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12