Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

korossyp NNTP User

Default Re: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

Same here, since I'm using an external USB wired keyboard on KDE4 with my notebook, it stops working randomly. I can use my mouse to reboot but neither the external, nor the internal keyboard work.

alfredforbrich NNTP User

Angry Re: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

Same problem here. Keyboard goes away but mouse is still working.

Have system setup using USB Mouse and USB keyboard connected to ATEN 2-port KVM switch. One PC is dedicated to Windows-XP Pro, no problem with mouse/keyboard. Other PC is configured as triple boot with XP-Pro, Vista-Home and SUSE11.1. Only time that keyboard locks up is when running SUSE11.1.

Using KDE/Kmail

Note that this only seemed to have started this past week, i.e. sometime since March 1, 2009. (Truly only started to notice this problem starting March 11.)

I haven't done any recent updates.

alfredforbrich NNTP User

Angry Re: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

Forgot to mention, found that if I hold down a keyboard key for about 1 second, the letter will print. (Not a very efficient way to type.)

Thumbs up Re: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

Wow, that is annoying (having to hold down for 1 second).
    I never tried that.
    The problem went completely away but completely avoiding ANY KDE4 components. It appears to be in the KDE 4 core libs. Even under Gnome or KDE3 if I had any KDE4 installed, the problem recurs. Now that I have ONLY KDE3 (and/or gnome), I have not had any recurrence of the problem at all.
    So unfortunately I can recommend currently is to dissuade anyone who runs into this from using KDE 4 for now. :-(
    I wish it would generate some error logs (or someone had helped with that when I was having the problem), so it could be contributed as a bug report to help out the KDE4 folks.
    Anyhow, for anyone else who runs into this, it's a PITA, but it is possible to remove KDE4 after an install without having to completely reinstall the OS (though more time consuming than a fresh install and just selecting only KDE35 from "Other").
    1. Install Gnome requirements, and change window manager to gnome
    2. boot into Gnome login
    3. Remove ALL KDE references (3 or 4)
    4. Block/lock all KDE4 references
    5. Install KDE3 components only
    6. Change window manager and login back to kde (3).
    7. Login to KDE3 and be productive again.

Hopefully someday KDE 4 will work reliably.

Cheers!

DonDurito NNTP User

hi same probleme here, running opensuse 11.1 and kde 4.2; kmail is always open;

a temporary workaround is to delete the .kde4/ folder in /home/user/. this will force kde to build its app structure new. but be sure to save the apps fodlder in kde4/share/ too keep your configurations;

i also tried to save and copy the whole share folder but the keyboard was still locked;

so guess something in the .kde4/share folder messes the keyboard up.

this is some seriouse bug son any decent solution would be nice cause i justed started too love kde and there is now way back to gnome for me now.

yours
    don

I had tried that approach from reading in another forum, but it did not work for me at all (deleting the .kde4/share folders).

alfredforbrich NNTP User

Smile Re: Keyboard Freeze Variant. 11.1 KDE4

I found that deleting .kde4 worked, but for some reason I had to do it twice??? When I deleted it the 1st time and then did a reboot, the response was better but not normal to keyboard strokes. I then deleted .kde4 again and rebooted and now the keyboard response is more or less normal.

kapjp NNTP User

I have some problem in KDE 4.2.2 with ubuntu kernel. What exactly I must delete?

Same issue here. Both notebook and external keyboard freeze completely but the mouse still works. Peculiar is that it always happens with OpenOffice 3 Impress when I draw things for some time. Then when I am done the keyboard doesn't work any longer. Really annoying. Never used Kmail or Kontact at all.

KDE 4.1.3, openSUSE 11.1

Conficter NNTP User

alfredforbrich wrote:
    > Forgot to mention, found that if I hold down a keyboard key for about 1
    > second, the letter will print. (Not a very efficient way to type.)

quoted from a previous posting:

"It sounds as if you may have accidentally switched on an
    accessibility feature called 'slow keys' by pressing on the shift key
    for a few seconds. This is a showstopper that has been reported in
    numerous bug reports and has caused many, many users who've never
    heard of 'slow keys' to believe that their installation is completely
    broken.

Fortunately you can turn it off with just the mouse by going to the K
    menu -> Control Centre -> Regional & Accessibility -> Accessibility ->
    Activation Gestures, and untick the first box ('Use gestures for
    activating slow keys and sticky keys'). Also go to the Keyboard
    Filters tab and untick the 'Use slow keys' box if it is ticked. Press