Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't seen to install VMware server correctly

Default Re: Can't seen to install VMware server correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Magic31 View Post
    Just to add: If you are talking Windows performance on Xen.. you probably did not install the guest add on tools. Without the guest tools you will basically run at +/-20% of what you could be running. When installing the tools, bits of Windows will be put into semi para mode.

SLES uses the Virtual Driver add-on and there are free drivers available at XenSource. Haven't tried those with openSUSE though.

If you run other Linux guests on a Xen host you will surely blast Virtual Box, VMWare workstation out of the water. But for a desktop virtualization product Xen does not have enough management tools on board. Virtual Box and VMWare are a breeze in that sense.

Cheers,
    Wj
    Hi Wj yeah I was really surprised after reading all the hype on Xen. Now what you are saying makes sense I couldn't believe how slow it was, that must be it. Because all I read says the performance can't be beat. Anyway I'm happily running VirtualBox so until next time...

Cheers,

Randall

Have you seen this thread? : openSUSE 11.1 and VMware Workstation 6.5.1 - openSUSE Forums

Check post #7
    Have a lot of fun!

Code:
    Linux linux-bihd 2.6.27.7-9-default #1 SMP 2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Code:
    kernel-source-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-xen-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-xen-extra-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-default-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-default-extra-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-debug-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-xen-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-default-2.6.27.7-9.1
    linux-kernel-headers-2.6.27-2.28
    kernel-pae-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-syms-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-trace-base-2.6.27.7-9.1
    kernel-source-debuginfo-2.6.27.7-9.1

Hmmmm... you've got yourself allot of nice kernels there. Been testing a bit?

If it where me, I'd install the kernel-pae packages , reboot using the pae kernel selection and retry rebuilding vmware.

try :

Code:
    su -
    zypper install kernel-pae*
    This will probably deinstall the kernel-default packages.. but if, for any reason, you can't boot with the pae kernel you can revert by booting into the xen kernel and reinstall the kernel-default packages.

After the pae kernel is installed, reboot, check the boot selection and retry the vmware-config.pl script.

Curious...
    Have a lot of fun!

Thanks for your help, but i give up.
    I think i did something wrong in the terminal cause my computer started freezing, and the screen kept going white/black and wouldn't respond and now i can't even open suse at all.

Maybe you know how i can reinstall suse? I wanna start all over - this time I'll try Vbox again.

That's not good...

When did (after which action) things go belly up? could still be fixable but a reinstall might be quicker and cleaner (removing packages you were testing).

Is there any data you want to keep? I always reinstall my desktops keeping my /home partition in tack. A technique many use....

Do you have a separate partition for your /home? And/or any other specific things/data you want to keep?
    Have a lot of fun!

i actually just tried a full re-installation from the live cd, but got into some trouble with that too.

And i already posted a help thread:
    Tried to re-install suse, but it aborted before finishing - openSUSE Forums

You might wanna try installing from DVD to make sure it's not the LiveCD install. There have been reports of failing installs using the LiveCD..

Do you have in Intel video card?

I'm off for the night though... wishing you luck!
    Have a lot of fun!

yeah, i think it's intel.
    And i don't have the DVD ...
    bye

Code:
    Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.3.2", while you are trying to use
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3". This configuration is not recommended and VMware
    Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly same compiler as
    one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go with compiler
    "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3" anyway? [no]
    wrong answer, choose: yes, it's just checking on .2, and that doesn't matter

VMWare Server 2 installatie en configuratie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast