KDE4 question from a dial up user.

Okay, Howdy folks!

I’m a soon to be OpenSUSE user, and a dial up user. Downloading updates and security patches isn’t really something I can feasibly do, regularly. I normally wait on new releases to handle the heavy lifting.

my question is this:

I know KDE4 is supposed to be the new hotness, but how does the update process work? I set my repositories and download the same files over and over as they’re being (constantly) updated?

How big are these updates? I can handle knocking out a couple hundred megs over the course of a few nights, if YAST supports resuming files. Is it worth it to even try to keep it updated, or should I use KDE3.5 until 11.2 comes out?

Also, Is there a way to update KDE4 with a CD, or just copying files? I can handle dragging my laptop to a family members house and downloading updates, but my main desktop machine is another story.

josh3135 schreef:

> my question is this:
>
> I know KDE4 is supposed to be the new hotness, but how does the update
> process work? I set my repositories and download the same files over and
> over as they’re being (constantly) updated?

Yes, and it’s about 100/200MB when all is updated.
But you don’t have to update every time they release a updated version of
their packages.
You can do the same say, once a week.
Just set the KDE4 repositories to not refresh automaticly and do this
yourself in the weekend.

But to be honest, i wouldn’t do it over a telephoneline when you say that it
will take a couple of night to download a few hundred MB’s.

I realy like KDE4 and to be on the cutting edge, but i have to say that you
wont miss out on anything when you stick to KDE3.x
In fact KDE3.x is still more futere rich than KDE4
And offcourse you can still run KDE4 apps in KDE3.x

Chris Maaskant

Yeah, I would just stick with KDE 3 for now. People are still finding a lot of bugs in KDE 4, and it’s just not worth risking having a non-functional system just for a little bit of “bling”. Especially when you are on a dial-up connection and would have to start all over from scratch, throwing away days of downloading.