Thread: 11.1 on PPC iMac -- No GNOME after install

lcafiero NNTP User

Default 11.1 on PPC iMac -- No GNOME after install

First, forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it in the forum and I'd be glad to be pointed to another forum topic dealing with this.

I have an indigo iMac, PPC, 384MB RAM, on which I installed 11.1 using a net install disk and the install went well. However, when I rebooted, I was given the choice of GNOME, IceWM and another desktop I can't recall (TWM?), and after leaving the default (GNOME) and putting in my password, I get a black screen after about 10 seconds of hang time at the login screen.

I can reboot, choose IceWM or TWM, and both those desktops come up fine.

Nothing against IceWM or TWM -- I'm sure they're great and naturally they're getting a tryout since I can't get to GNOME -- but I'd like to get the desktop that I'm used to when using a new distro.

I'm way open to suggestions and thanks in advance.

Default Re: 11.1 on PPC iMac -- No GNOME after install

Quote Originally Posted by lcafiero View Post
    However, when I rebooted, I was given the choice of GNOME, IceWM and another desktop I can't recall (TWM?), and after leaving the default (GNOME) and putting in my password, I get a black screen after about 10 seconds of hang time at the login screen.
    This may be a longshot, but it sounds very much like the bug that we encountered with Ubuntu not getting past the gdm login due to a date bug and gnome when first installing:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuDateBug

I can reboot, choose IceWM or TWM, and both those desktops come up fine.
    Great - can you fire up IceWM and get to the xterm terminal and see what the date is?

Code:
    date
    Don't be surprised if xterm looks ugly at first. If you need larger fonts, just hover over xterm, CTRL-right.click at the same time, and choose "huge" fonts. Alternatively, you can call up another xterm that looks quite nice with:

Code:
    xterm -fa mono -fs 16 &
    and check your date there.
    G5 iMac / AMD64

lcafiero NNTP User

Thanks, stream303 -- excellent suggestion, but it didn't work in this case. A dead PRAM battery -- a notorious culprit in a lot of Mac problems -- wasn't at fault here (although I did try changing the date and time as outlined in the link just for the sake of trying).

A couple of things popped up when pushing contol-option-F1 to get a terminal prompt that I'm looking into. For example, I was prompted at one point to configure the mouse and that leads me (mistakenly, maybe?) that I should configure the monitor at the command line . . . ?

I'll try a few more things and report back. Meanwhile, thanks again stream303, and if anyone else has any insight, feel free to jump in here.

Weird - ok at least icewm or twm window managers come up. Although it isn't a fix, can you bring up any gnome specific programs from an xterm, such as gedit?

Code:
    gedit &
    perhaps just to see if anything gnome related is part of the install?
    G5 iMac / AMD64