Can opensuse do this?

I’ve installed opensuse 11.1 64 bit edition and am blown away by the speed and eye candy. Now the question I have is can it give me everything my xp did? web browsing, email im chat etc no problem. However, I need to use:

Visual Studio 2008

I assume this must be run in a virtual machine. How well does this work? Does it crash more than a couple of times a month? I haven’t been able to test this as my current cpu (E2160) doesn’t do virtualization but am looking to buy a new laptop that does. Theres a couple of other windows apps I need but I think VS is the hardest one and if it can do that then all will be well.

I use my puter 16 hours a day, running XP, and it’s very stable, application crash maybe once a month. How does this compare to opensuse? I love the speed and power of this os but not if I have to suffer instability and inability to use the applications I need to.

I’m a geek, nerd, computer junkie and program in a dozen languages, so I don’t mind “getting my hands dirty” and aren’t fazed by tweaking config files etc. But I want to know if eventually I can end up with a solid stable box that allows me to run the legacy apps I need to.

Any reasonable comments much appreciated.

Sorry, I had tried that as well, it does not work properly, even when I installed VMware and setup a virtual machine running Windows XP.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I run VMs in VMware Server 2.0.x, VirtualBox 2.1.x, and Xen 3.2.x and
don’t have any of the VMs go down. I can do anything in a windows-based
VM as I can with real hardware including Visual Studio (at lesat the
version I have, which is old, worked just fine). Have you also tried
Wine? I’ve had great luck with programs in there though maybe I just
use easy programs. In the meantime my XP VM in VMware has not been
rebooted (or had any crashes) for well over a year, though I suspend it
a lot with VMware’s Suspend feature.

Good luck.

ybop wrote:
> I’ve installed opensuse 11.1 64 bit edition and am blown away by the
> speed and eye candy. Now the question I have is can it give me
> everything my xp did? web browsing, email im chat etc no problem.
> However, I need to use:
>
> Visual Studio 2008
>
> I assume this must be run in a virtual machine. How well does this
> work? Does it crash more than a couple of times a month? I haven’t been
> able to test this as my current cpu (E2160) doesn’t do virtualization
> but am looking to buy a new laptop that does. Theres a couple of other
> windows apps I need but I think VS is the hardest one and if it can do
> that then all will be well.
>
> I use my puter 16 hours a day, running XP, and it’s very stable,
> application crash maybe once a month. How does this compare to
> opensuse? I love the speed and power of this os but not if I have to
> suffer instability and inability to use the applications I need to.
>
> I’m a geek, nerd, computer junkie and program in a dozen languages, so
> I don’t mind “getting my hands dirty” and aren’t fazed by tweaking
> config files etc. But I want to know if eventually I can end up with a
> solid stable box that allows me to run the legacy apps I need to.
>
> Any reasonable comments much appreciated.
>
>
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFJYYgz3s42bA80+9kRArquAJ48DcjHgEkCXV4gLo+XcPhVtuhO+wCeNU2z
kpOWC032p0gMiXN9LDgG1xM=
=6XVv
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

To add on to what I had written. If you are using .net applications, had you consider using mono-project + gtk + monodevelop? My offices tried this and is quite trilled with the outcome.

The great advantage of mono-project as compared to Windows .net is the fact it is TRULY cross platformed and it uses .net capabilities. The code you write would be usable in Windows (You do not even need to install Mono-project to make it work), Linux and Mac.

Thanks hugely guys! I just wanted to know if it’s possible and it seems it is and thats great! Before I read this however I had made up my mind that even if it wasn’t and I had to dual boot to use my legacy apps, I wasn’t going to give up on opensuse. I’m just totally blown away!!! 3 times the eye candy of vista at 10 times the speed plus functionality that will assuredly make it in to MS in a few years (MS always a follower, never an innovator)

If opensuse and kde had been bought by MS and sold as vista, I’ve no doubt XP would be ancient history instead of the only currently useable MS operating system. I’m passionate in my hatred of vista, it is satan spawn, the biggest virus in history or how to take a fast computer and make it into a slow one. Every time I am forced kicking and screaming into having to work on a vista box, my mind fills with dark thoughts and my mutterings replete with expletives. How could thousands of people spend 6 years and millions of dollars making something so utterly useless.

Many ppl only use a puter for browsing and office work and they should be using linux! If only ppl knew how far linux had come and how polished it is, MS would be in serious trouble. The last time I looked at it was over 10 years ago and it wasn’t a serious contender for mainstream use then but wow the baby has grown! In the past few days, my eyes have been opened. I’ve seen the light. I thought XP was pretty excellent and I still think it’s by far the best thing MS ever did but linux is ready to take over from the old timer. Actually I think vista (being so awful) is the best thing to happen to linux and I fervently hope the drift to linux will gather momentum until it becomes an unstoppable avalanche. I have a dream! I see a day in the not too distant future when MS files for chapter 11 and gets sold off as a shelf company. A time when the world is using open source products like opensuse and computers actually work the way they are supposed to…

</RANT>

Nothing like the religious fervor of the recently converted. :slight_smile: Thanks again for the feedback. Now I just need to buy me a laptop that can do virtualization and I’m never looking back!

I do exactly what you are looking for. Have MS server 2003 running with in VMware.
On that i have VS 2008, MOSS 2007, and Office 2007 running. Use it for MOSS 2007 development which i do at work and the VM setup is for when i need to work at home.
So far never had a crash or blue screen, been using it for about 3 months.
Haven’t tested mono yet mainly because i don’t like gnome, also it won’t do what we do at work

/Geoff

Thanks! That’s exactly what I wanted to hear :slight_smile:

Also you don’t need a laptop that ‘can do virtualization’ to use a virtual machine software.
CPUs virtualization instructions can help with the VM performance, but I think you’ll be surprised how fast VMs are without an Intel-VT or AMD-V CPU.
So go ahead and try it now! :slight_smile:

The most used virtual machines around here are VMware and Virtualbox (which is OSS).

When I try to create a VM in opensuse it complains processor doesn’t support it so I assumed I couldn’t do it. Is there another way?

Can you explain a bit more that error, software used, etc?

Lizard -> applications -> system -> virtualization -> create virtual machines.

Forward -> Forward -> select any of the “windows” items

Forward. Error box pops up stating “The processor(s) in this machine do not support full virtualization”

This is in KDE 4.1, no packages installed other than what comes on the install DVD.

You are trying to use xen bit more complicated than VMware or virtualbox.
You will find virtualbox in yast > software. You have to get VMware from the link i posted

/Geoff

Thanks again for the info! I’m very much a linux newbie but will learn. As you have been able to run VS2008 successfully in a VM, it would be very helpful to know which VM you used?

I just re read your post and you actually mention vmware. I should have read more closely. I’m off to try to install it. Is there a “How to” available for installing vmware under opensuse?

Here: Setting up VMware Workstation - openSUSE
and also follow the link below for another excelent tutorial by Swerdna.

Thanks! I already found it and followed the instructions and as we speak windows xp is happily installing. :slight_smile:

It was actually much easier than I thought it would be. I only had to run the install 3 times, reboot, scratch my head and then suddenly it worked! For some reason I had an issue accessing my cdrom drive but I fixed it (no idea how!)

I’ve got a huge amount to learn about linux but it’s awesome fun! And it’s so way way above that steaming pile of doggy doo doo formerly known as vista. I’m gobsmacked that in only a few hours Ive been able to install vmware and can now use legacy apps so there really is no reason to go back to the dark side. Well unless I feel the need for some serious graphical games which I dont think work well when virtualized but I have way too much to do for the next few years to contemplate that.

Thanks so much! This forum is a gold mine! You can expect my silly newbie questions posted here frequently over the next few months.

Ok, why does rebooting cause it to lose all the vmware settings? After a reboot, when I go to start it, it complains its installed but hasn’t been configured yet so I have to run the config program again. Whats the deal with this?