Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Upgrade to kde4.1.86 breaks kdm - How do I fix or revert.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9

    Default Upgrade to kde4.1.86 breaks kdm - How do I fix or revert.

    I have upgraded from kde4.1.85 to 4.1.86 last night and now kdm fails. There is no kde login screen, I have to login as root and startx, but login as me with startx fails.

    How can I revert to previous or fix ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The English Lake District. UK - GMT/BST
    Posts
    36,733
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Upgrade to kde4.1.86 breaks kdm - How do I fix or revert

    Leap 15.1_KDE
    My Articles Was I any help? If yes: Click the star below

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Upgrade to kde4.1.86 breaks kdm - How do I fix or revert

    I have tried all the recommendations;

    I fixed the line in the /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager from startkde4 to startkde since their is no startkde4 in /usr/bin.

    I cleared the kdm log file in /var/log.

    I checked all the repositories, kde42-unstable, kde4 Unstable extragear and kde42 unstable community. All seem ok.

    Checked all packages in repo's are up to date, all but games(to save some bandwidth).

    I do get this in my /var/log/messages
    kdm[2224]: Internal error: unknown D_* command 112

    Am tripple checking and trying another reboot now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Upgrade to kde4.1.86 breaks kdm - How do I fix or revert

    I have solved the problem, The auto login was set to a user that has a problem with the kde4 configuration. Even after renaming the .kde4 directory it still could not auto login to the user and was dropping back to a shell login.

    disabling the auto login enabled the kdm login to function. The kdm changed from startkde4 to startkde in /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager, don't know if this was necessary.

    There needs to be better or easier to find documentation in kde techbase.

    The change to 'akonadi' in kmail seems to be the culprit in the latest kde4.2beta2.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •